Taking Initiative.

Taking initiative can be really hard. Some are too shy to speak up and ask questions regarding problems they see. Some don’t want the added work, so they avoid speaking up. DO NOT DO THIS! I find people who notice things above most designers are the best on the team. They notice problems in the briefs, in solutions and in the companies image. By having such a trait you become vital in the effort to avoid false advertisements and save face for the company. This is especially important when working with a startup because they may not know the huge role design plays in the companies success, you have to be the one to show them.

If you’re confused as to how to develop this skill it starts in school. You must give critiques no matter what. Say something, ANYTHING. When someone presents solutions or problems learn to defend properly, argue properly and give options properly. These are the components to taking initiative.

Defending Properly:

Defending someone’s work or statements is one way to take initiative. You must have some sense of factual evidence when committing this act. You should never use an emotional or “I have seen that before” commentary. “I” should never be held as your first word in any defending scenario because design/facts do not revolve around you or your experiences. Know that in this scenario you will be perceived as a great team member to those who you give the defense too. But too much defending will sometimes lead to others arguing whether you are telling the truth which leads to more work on your plate to do research for your own defense.

Arguing Properly:

This is probably the most difficult initiative to take on but it gives you the most creditability in the eyes of those higher up. When you choose to argue you shall NEVER come with an emotional response. This argument will come from a view point that you noticed from words/visuals that the member has presented. You will use the following words/statement as you protest; Why? How? Who? When? Where? Will that lead to any further problems? Etc… This initiative may lead to people on the team disliking you because you are pretty much pointing out their defects. This isn’t the best feeling for anyone that’s why it is most unlikely to be used among designers but used primarily by higher figures such as art directors because they are not afraid to hurt your feelings.

Giving Options Properly:

Now the best way to save your face after a good argue-mental initiative is to give the individual options as to how to fix the problem. When you do this you now are letting your partners, team members and fellow students know that you are not trying to bash them but help them. Not many people give away their ideas to other designers so when you can do that you become one of the people many go to for help. You begin to help people and they then entrust you fully. This is the time to be your most honest self, do not be afraid to continue questioning them thoroughly. Your team members are not friends or competitors they are your team members so be honest and helpful.

The reason for why I feel the need to give you all this information is because I would consider myself a pro at taking initiative and I want to encourage others to do it as well. But to do it the right way. The one thing you must never forget and need to learn when taking initiative is to know when you are wrong. What I mean is when someone is able to argue back, defend them selves with facts and explain why they didn’t take the options you suggested. In this moment you must learn to tip your hat to them because they have just exhibited what a real designer looks like; well knowledgeable. They did their research and gave evidence to support their work, you cannot argue with that any longer. I like to take the time to tell them that they did an incredible job, it’s great to tell fellow designers that. Especially when they deserve it.

Also Important: If you are too shy or don’t think of any questions to ask in that moment but you think of something a few days later don’t hold it in, that information can still be vital. I’m not always prepared for all the questions giving to me so I tend to answer honestly with “I don’t know, let me get back to you on that.” and then come back with the answers or questions after I have thought about it a bit longer. Sometimes those comments become the best because you actually went and got some facts to support your comments. This should be encouraged to students, we tend to make comments only on presentation days but never revisit peoples work to ask further questions on developments. So be the one to continue communications even after the presentations have been done.

Now how does initiative relate to my internship this summer? Well I have already taken two initiatives which led me to a whole load of complements from supervisors. My most recent initiative has taken place via phone call with my supervisor. I had asked him if he has ever had someone create a brand guideline for his company. He quickly informed me that he did not have one. So I told him I would like to do that for him so he can have it for future interns who may need guidance. He was so thankful to me and made sure to let everyone know on the team that I was doing some great things. New interns began to look to me as the lead designer on the team. This will later help me when I look for a reference letter from my supervisor. See everything leads back to your success as a designer so think carefully of what you say and do. Take initiative as a student now so later you are able to do it on the field with confidence. I hope that helps you all!

Till next time Everyone!

Haijra Heidi Bajraktarevic, Komeeda, Dept. of Communication Design, NYCCT/CUNY, Summer 2018, COMD-4900/D032[7372]