Landing the Landing Pages

Landing pages? All I think is a page on a website. So on day 1, when I was told I needed to create a few landing pages I thought sure no problem.

Okay, that wasn’t really how it went down. Actually what really happened was; I went on my first video conference call with four members of the team and they told me how important it was for me to prioritize the landing pages. I have never designed for a landing page but acted like I knew what they were talking about. When really I had written down in my notes; google landing pages.

My supervisor quickly shared his screen and showed me an example of what they meant and then I felt confident that I could do it. Till he said we will need one for each event. My face had one of those uncontrollable responses, you know the kind when you hear something crazy, yup my face said it all.  I didn’t understand why but quickly due to my obvious face one of the team members spoke up and said it’s because we have to target different audience members. At the company we have a large audience and they seek to reach out to each group with specifications. Which as a designer I get.

I just couldn’t wrap my mind around it. It seemed tedious and filled with long term work. For every event they create, for the rest of the companies existence, they will be creating landing pages for each event.

So let me tell you a bit of what these landing pages consist of; it would visually be dedicated to an event which would be in an ad, placed throughout web platforms. The call to action (design term for: what do you want people to do?) is to write their email in and click submit. Once done with the landing page the viewer would land on the companies event page.

Where I got confused was, why they needed so many? Usually these landing pages are company branded. If the audience is large then you’re doing good and they liked your branding. Sooooo use the branding. But no I was dead wrong. Apparently the idea is to be able to get those emails from specific landing pages and email them back with upcoming events they are interested in. I know there has to be a easier way, someone has to google it. Don’t look at me.

I finally just agreed and decided I’m wrong, he’s right and there ain’t nothing I can do about it. Being confident in my design process and strategy doesn’t give me the experience of running a company.  See sometimes we find ourselves trusting in our self confidence too much. This can lead to ignorance, disappointments and lack of a job by the end of the day. As someone who has always worked well with people I knew this was a case in which I had to be understanding. But I have to say, bless his heart, my supervisor was so patient with my ignorance and schooled me in some business marketing. I appreciated it.

Till next time Everyone!

Haijra Heidi Bajraktarevic, Komeeda, Dept. of Communication Design, NYCCT/CUNY, Summer 2018, COMD-4900/D032[7372]

Final examples of the landing page designs without the buttons for email submissions: