Mentors for Life!

A mentor in the career of design is a necessity in my opinion. You should have one at any point in your career, whether you’re a senior designer or a student. A mentor is someone who gives you feedback on your work, so if you’re creating, a mentor would be your best asset to helping you avoid falling in love with your work. A mentor not only helps you see the defects your work but also teaches you lessons that they have discovered that you may not have discovered yet on your individual journey. Everyone can always use more learning.

During my internship I have not only gained a mentor but I have gained two. I consider my supervisor and the head of marketing both mentors of mine. Both play huge roles in my internship currently but the benefit of having them throughout my design journey is tremendous. See my supervisor is a entrepreneur who understands business and how to grow one. He is able to teach me how business works and guide me toward opportunities of meeting people who can give me a chance to showcase my work further. He is well versed in business etiquette and knows many individuals in the field. If I was to continue toward working as a freelancer than I would be considered a business all on my own. By understanding what business entails I can receive the knowledge necessary for successes.

Although business is a huge importance to me so is how one can discover me, which marketing is used for. This is why it is so important for me to continue my relationship with my marketing head past my internship. She has the great experience in marketing that can help me promote my work and find employment more efficiently. I was told by many professors that we need to know how to market ourselves, so we are able to be found among all the designers here in NYC. Having a marketing specialist such as my head can give me the lessons on how to put myself out there but not as a student but as a professional designer.

I had a portfolio review this summer and I was told by the art director that I look like a student when he viewed my portfolio and social media. By having mentors such as the ones I stated they can help mold my appearance toward a more professional one, due to their experience. It is vital that I continue communications with individuals of higher positions. These individuals will grow to many more because each section of design there is someone out there who knows best and you want those people beside you giving you the lessons. These mentors also help future employment when they give you reference letters that describe you best.

When you have very little experience on your resume it is important to have mentors who can give you the reference letters you need and the experience you need to grow that resume into a professional looking one. So if you don’t have a mentor I would advice you to seek out for them. It does not hurt you to ask that designer who you admire if he or she is able to mentor you. There is no shame in that and many are looking to help people so it isn’t something that can hurt you but instead grow you into the designer you’re hoping to be.

Till next time Everyone!

Haijra Heidi Bajraktarevic, Komeeda, Dept. of Communication Design, NYCCT/CUNY, Summer 2018, COMD-4900/D032[7372]