Welcome to the Team!

I was in a frantic search for an internship before the class began. The week prior to starting class I found myself going back to an old company which I had worked with in the past; Komeeda.

Komeeda’s founder who I have known for many years has always allowed me to gain experience while working for him. He is also my supervisor for this semesters internship. On May 29,2018 I sent him a private Facebook message asking whether he had any internships available for me during the summer. He quickly replied asking what I could do for the company. My response was a branding idea involving motion graphics for his videos on his social media accounts. I sent him examples of them from YouTube. He then asked to see my portfolio to view my current style. He looked at it and in a moments time said he needed me, that he thought my work was awesome. I was relieved. This meant I had an internship and not just anyone but one I felt confident in.

Once the initial interview was over my supervisor prompted me to check my email. He had sent me a Slack link where I and Komeeda’s full team would communicate. I joined the chat room and greated everyone with an introduction to myself.

“Hello everyone my name is Heidi and I am the design intern for this summer. Thanks for having me. I’m excited to be part of the team!”

The team quickly responded one at a time welcoming me to the team. It was great when my supervisor linked my portfolio to the page and let everyone know to check my work out. I felt extremely lucky to have him as a connection to further grow my experience but also my network.

I was told by the team to check out a google drive link for my tasks so I quickly looked into it. I found that I was doing social media graphics and a landing page design. There I went forth and looked into different marketing strategies for the content needed for social media. I found hashtags and times best to post. The research I had gathered is now something I am putting together for a in person presentation to a team member this Friday. The presentation will take place in a coffee shop in Chelsea. Also, I have looked into different approaches to the landing page for their website.

The team also sent me a link to choose a date and time I can be available for a conference team call. Most of our communication is remotely so I knew this would be common so I chose wisely with a single date and a few options for times I will be available that way it doesn’t interfere with my entire day or week schedule.  The Conference call went well a few days after the initial interview and the more I spoke to the team the more I found myself understanding how vital design is to a company.

Till next time everyone!

Haijra Heidi Bajraktarevic, Komeeda, Dept. of Communication Design, NYCCT/CUNY, Summer 2018, COMD-4900/D032[7372]