Writing for the Public

Homework 3

In the text “Wondrous Life of Oscar” the particular part I found difficult is when He said that “the European arrival has unleashed the Fukù on the world and we have been in the shit since” I got a little confused in this part because, in the beginning, he said that the Fuku thing comes from Africa I would expect African people could be the ones who unleashed it on the world instead of the European because they, not the one believe in it. 

Furthermore, he relates the Fuku to the Dominican Dictator Trujillo that people think was a curse due to his actions during his time in power. This part is really strange for me because he’s not the first dictator that the world has and everyone knows what A dictator does when he got the power, how his action can be a curse of the Fuku.If Trujillo is a curse that mean all dictator in the world are a curse for their country too. Also, he relates it to JFK who had failed in multiple attempts with the US in Vietnam and his death. This part of the text got my attention because he was the only president who had failed so many times and the first one who got assassinated during his time in power. These facts in the passage seem more invincible as a curse but not sure it’s the Fuku.

1. Carrie Hall

These are really interesting questions, Kervens– and like with any curse, there are more questions than answers. But yes– if the fuku came from Africa, then why did the Europeans unleash it? Maybe it was mad at the Europeans?

And great point about the dictators. Are we living in a world full of dictators’ curses?

For the record, JFK was the fourth president to get assassinated, but your point still stands.