Writing for the Public

Homework #3

While I was reading an excerpt about “Fuku” from a story named “The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao”, I could tell the word  “Fuku” was a curse that existed among the old world and the new world when I read the first paragraph. I understood most of the wording and language techniques that were used in the excerpt, except for the first two sentences where I had a hard time understanding. When I read the sentences that the author, Oscar Wao used to start off the story with the introduction by saying this in the very first section of the excerpt,  “carried by the enslaved” and “that it was the death bane of the Tainos”, I found it very difficult to understand what the first two sentences meant by this. What made it difficult was this phrase in one of the two sentences, “death bane”, and it was an unfamiliar phrase to me and it made the whole sentence difficult for me to understand. The phrase “death bane” in the introduction was bothering me, and as I was looking at it and thinking about it, I had an idea that the phrase meant mass murder, but I believed it meant something else and it started to confuse me. “Carried in the screams of the enslaved” was what I also had trouble understanding because I didn’t know if this sentence referred to the Tainos that were slaves before the new world.

1. Carrie Hall

Khia, great job trying to break this apart. You’re right about the Tainos– that’s an ethnic group that were enslaved. A “death bane” is a thing that causes death. “Bane” is an old word that means “destroyer,” (originally) but now can mean “enemy.” But a death bane would be like, the main cause of death for a population of people.