I wanted to research specifically about the toxicity of machismo culture in Latin America and in Latino families. I’ve always been aware of this manipulative, over-controlling, and abuse type of man, in Latino households, I have one and so do a lot of people. I do believe that people are evolving and improving, however, I think it’s important to reflect on how machismo culture has impacted both men and women. I am aware that I should also do research on marianismo, which is the purity and femininity of women, these women are expected to be “saints” it is quite clear that they aren’t allowed to be independent, or what some call “selfish”. My experience with machismo culture is quite different since I was born and raised in America. Yet I can still see it in my own family, some Latino/Hispanic mothers raise and treat their sons and daughters differently. Their sons are babied and taken care of, not expected to be responsible for traditional “women” roles such as cooking and cleaning. While daughters have to be grown at a young age to take care of their future husbands. My grandmother treated her sons as her children while her daughters were just around to work. She never referred to them as hija, I don’t want to be a part of that cycle. Being a daughter is a curse in a household that doesn’t value you, and makes it clear that you only exist to serve. I’d also liked to see how this culture has progressed as time passes by with different generations. I would like to appeal to older women, who have grown up in machismo culture and now live with a marianismo perspective, and those who want to be apart of the change.

Another topic I would like to look into is the “tomboy trope” and “ manic pixie dream girls” these roles seem to only advance their male counterparts. While women are seen as disposable and easy to change/manipulative, they only raise up to the male protagonist. Women are dehumanized in television/films constantly, and it’s not only with the male gaze. Women are also made out to not be their own person, their purpose is to help the male character realize his dream. It’s clear that the male gaze objectifies women and uses them as a prop basically. I would like to learn more about these tropes that women have been placed in, in comparison to their male counterparts.Â