What did you learn from reading this article? How did this author use research? How do they use personal experience?

What I learned from reading this article is the underlining meaning of the word “marriage” and understanding it. The author uses research such as facts from studies and statistics to show what she’s talking about. The use personal experience by talking to the reader as if she’s conversing with me. The author states, “Once you throw in Tinder, internet porn, and our scrolling, tl;dr attention spans, marriage seems not just antiquated but utterly absurd. So why do I love this torturous state of affairs so much? The daily companionship, the shared household costs, and the tax breaks are not enough. Maybe I’m the sort of weak bird who would rather wait for her very flawed mate to come home than go out preening and showboating just to wind up with another flawed mate in the end.” People feel so lonely that their last result to find their significant other one is using dating apps and scrolling on social media. I mean if that works, good for you. The author herself admits she’s weak but wants to take her time, maybe outline that she has a long way to go before she finds the right one. There’s a comparison she makes by saying, “Starting in the mid-1960s, Finkel asserts, married couples began to expect not just emotional sustenance and sexual satisfaction from each other but also a kind of mutual empowerment. He suggests that this at least partially explains why the divorce rate started to climb around then: High expectations turned good marriages into great marriages, while those uneasy, imperfect pairings began to feel hopelessly inadequate. Whereas marriage was once seen as a joint effort to achieve the good life, these days marriage looks more like a joint attempt to live your best lives — together and separately.” Now that we are in the 2000s sometime has passed and now marriage doesn’t seem all “high and mighty.” Comparing what married life was like before vs. now it’s a different kind of thinking. It was expected in the mid-1960s that married life makes humans have a “mutual empowerment” but in modern times if the marriage doesn’t work out divorce rates skyrocket.

Did it live up to your expectations?

This article lived up to my expectations because things are different in this age and time, so Havrilesky portrayed the differences and made me understand the term marriage.