Writing for the Public

Rough Draft

As I was walking through the streets of Long Island City, it seemed as if the only thing I could see was built cars all around me. The night was still young, but the street was completely packed with strangers, friends, and the occasional photographer coming by to snap a picture. Now it is time for everyone to move to our next destination, and it just seemed as if the artwork came to life as the engines roar on, headlights get turned on, and the parade to Soho began. The NYC lights shining into my car, and the noise of all the other cars around me seemed to be overwhelming at times even. Manhattan seemed to stop as we continued to parade down Broadway, whether it was people leaning out of the windows of their cars just to snap a picture or the random bystanders just watching as the parade of lights and noise go by. Even though all the cars are clean and seemingly finished, these builds just never seem to stop. But what is a build?

The simple definition of a build is a modified car, but the build itself can be turned into almost anything the owner can dream of and pay for. Whether you want to build a Honda Civic that can out run a Lamborghini or an old Lexus sedan so low that it scrapes on flat ground, the options are endless. Everybody has their own ideas and creations and these ideas are built with blood, sweat and tears. Additionally, styles and ideas change with both time and location. These differences can be seen when comparing two cars with one being from New York City and the other being from Southern California for example, as these different climates and the people themselves have different ideas on the purpose and use of the car. There are factors influence a build, mostly based off the person building the car, but others such as climate, quality of the roads of the person drives on, as well as the budget designated for the build. Just like our tastes evolve as time goes on, car culture , as a build from 2001 would be very dated at this point in time for some people while others would appreciate the heritage of the older builds.

Personally the word “build” means a lot to me. Coming from a background where I have to work for my money and my possessions, buying car parts or even a car in general, the long days and long nights don’t seem so bad when I can see the result of my hard work come to fruition before my own eyes. Additionally, building my car in my driveaway provides the greatest sense of accomplishment as I get to use and appreciate the new modification, or “mod” for short, on my car. Whether it’s rebuilding the brakes or putting a new exhaust on, it’s the greatest feeling to fix or change something with your own hands, and then go on a drive to feel the results. While some don’t prefer it, I love working on my build. The inspiration for a build can come from many different places, whether it’s from motorsport, other car enthusiasts, nature even, the options and ideas are endless. Yet all this builds that all these different people piece, with myself included, cannot be done without a strong support group of family and friends. Whether it’s helping a friend with a flat tire on a late rainy night, or just coming to just hang out while my buddy is working on his build, friendship and comradery are some of the most important aspects when it comes to a build. Some people just see a modified car rolling down the street, yet for me I see someone’s passion project where they have essentially put their life into. From turning wrenches late into the night to waking up at 5am to get to that one car show you’ve been waiting for to show off your build to everyone there, it all seems to be worth it. Because of my builds, I’ve developed life long friendships with people from all walks of life; I met one of my best friend’s because of one of my builds, and he is 26 and I’m only 22 and we’re inseparable at this point.

Even though the word build doesn’t seem to mean very much, the effort and financial commitment that are required in order to truly build a car are extraordinary. Yet every build is different in it’s own way; from function to form, car enthusiasts can build their car to any specification that they prefer. And from this build, new relationships develop as others are strengthened. Car enthusiasts put these crazy builds together to show off their style and ideas for others to see as if it’s a rolling work of art comprised of parts coming from around the world.

To see these builds, feel free to check out this Instagram page: @primenyc.co

1. Carrie Hall

Elan, here are some comments: http://somup.com/crn0YZD4WJ

• Elan.Samarin

Thank you for the comments, they really helped me out.