Writing for the Public

Homework 1

I am from Bangladesh. It’s been almost seven years since I came to this country. My name is Rakib Bepary. But it used to be different. When I was in Bangladesh my name was Rumi Rayhan. I never liked the first part of my name Rumi, my friends used to tease me about it because Rumi name was mostly used for girls.  But I used to love the second part of my name Rayhan. Its meaning is a flower of heaven. I always felt ashamed to say my first name, but I proudly said my last name. My name was changed by my parents when we were moving to the U.S.A because they thought in this country it would be easier for people to say Rakib Bepary than Rumi Rayhan. I was happy and sad both at the same time because I was able to get rid of Rumi but I missed Rayhan. And after that, I got stuck with Rakib Bepary. Now I am used to it and I like my name. But I still prefer that people call me Rayhan.

1. Carrie Hall

Rayhan, we can call you that! I’ll change it. I’m curious as to how your name got changed to Rakib. Also, I’m confused to why Rumi is so often a girl’s name, when Rumi, the poet, was a man!

I will give you full credit for this, but try to write a little more next time. This is a bit short– and as you can see there’s definitely more your readers want to know about!