Prof Cheng’s ARTH1100 History of Photography Fall 2019

active 5 days, 6 hours ago
Prof Cheng's ARTH1100 History of Photography Fall 2019
Humanities
ARTH1100

“Great photography is always on the edge of failure.” — Garry Winogrand

An introduction to photography as a fine art and communications medium, from the publication of its invention in 1839 to the present, among Western practitioners. Illustrated lectures and discussions appraise diverse overlapping functions of photographs and view camera work within the history of art and culture. Changing styles, purposes and techniques are outlined chronologically.

Additional Description for this section: We will examine the use of photography for aesthetic, documentary, and “scientific” purposes, stylistic shifts in photography related to aesthetic concerns, and varying interpretations of subject matter based on social and cultural concerns at specific moments in history. We will also consider the relationship between photography and the visual arts in general, which culminates with the primacy of photography as a medium by the late twentieth century.

This course may be cloned by logged-in faculty.

HW #2 Food & Coffee--Civil war

One thing I found amusing about a soldier's diet during the civil war was the hard track […] See MoreHW #2 Food & Coffee--Civil war

Hw #2 Food and Coffee during the Civil War -Shanieya S.

When looking at what the soldiers diets were in the civil war I was not surprised at the lack of […] See MoreHw #2 Food and Coffee during the Civil War -Shanieya S.

HW #2: Emmanuel Casseus

I was honestly surprised by the fact that soldiers were forced to eat hard tacks biscuits in order […] See MoreHW #2: Emmanuel Casseus

What I found fascinating about the civil war diet was hardtack and how usable it was to feed […] See More

I also found it interesting that they mainly lived off hardtack. See More

I agree with the food you chose also. I love dessert especially after eating something salty. See More