Prof Cheng’s ARTH1100 History of Photography Fall 2019

active 6 months ago
Prof Cheng's ARTH1100 History of Photography Fall 2019
Humanities
ARTH1100

“Great photography is always on the edge of failure.” — Garry Winogrand

An introduction to photography as a fine art and communications medium, from the publication of its invention in 1839 to the present, among Western practitioners. Illustrated lectures and discussions appraise diverse overlapping functions of photographs and view camera work within the history of art and culture. Changing styles, purposes and techniques are outlined chronologically.

Additional Description for this section: We will examine the use of photography for aesthetic, documentary, and “scientific” purposes, stylistic shifts in photography related to aesthetic concerns, and varying interpretations of subject matter based on social and cultural concerns at specific moments in history. We will also consider the relationship between photography and the visual arts in general, which culminates with the primacy of photography as a medium by the late twentieth century.

This course may be cloned by logged-in faculty.

Final Grades are Posted

If you have not yet checked, final grades are posted to CUNYFirst and Blackboard. Enjoy winter break! See MoreFinal Grades are Posted

Deepak HW 3

One of my favorite aspects of Thanksgiving is the abundance of colors on the food tables (not […] See MoreDeepak HW 3

HW #3 Emmanuel

One of my favorite food combinations to eat during thanksgiving would have to be macaroni, […] See MoreHW #3 Emmanuel

It's rough having to work on a holiday, but great that you got to celebrate at work too. See More

I was also intrigued by their dependence on hardtack. Its like a small cracker. I would have never […] See More

What I found fascinating about the civil war diet was hardtack and how usable it was to feed […] See More