This course addresses the theory and application of law and procedure in civil litigation with emphasis on New York State law. It focuses on the role of the paralegal in preparing for litigation, including an understanding of the court system, steps in the litigation process and their time lines, drafting documents, trial and post-trial topics, and an introduction to the use of the computer in litigation. Prerequisites are CUNY proficiency in reading and writing; pre- or corequisites are LAW 1101 and ENG 1101. Three credits.
- Understanding the paralegal’s role in the civil litigation process
- Knowledge of the federal and New York State court systems
- Understanding steps in litigation and their timelines
- Knowledge of trial and post-trial topics
- Familiarity with the use of the computer in litigation