Brooklyn Historical Society

Upon visiting the Brooklyn Historical Society and viewing the daguerreotype, the difference in today’s photography is the process and outcomes of the image. The daguerreotypes consist of a polished sliver plate and multiple process of chemical polish to create a single image. Its is also limited to a small plate and cannot be enlarged. Photography today is much faster and quick that multiple shots of a singe subject can be done easily compared to the daguerreotypes. Color back then were done at the end of the process where artist put tints on stuff like checks and jewelry.

When comparing to the images I’ve taken to the daguerreotypes that was shown in the Brooklyn Historical Society was that they mostly are single portraits of people posed in a formal way. A completed daguerreotypes would probably take a long period of time to develop and frames in a sophisticated case. Images tend to not contain any background but on the portrait of the person. The images that I’ve taken so far this semester were not portraits of people but landscapes and objects like lamppost to public benches. It also contains no personal or intimate feelings like the daguerreotypes that are probably meant to be used and stored in pockets of loved ones.

About Emmy

I'm currently a full time student in City College of Technology and majoring in Advertising Design and Graphic Arts. I enjoy using traditional medium like watercolor and ink. I also do digital work using programs like Photoshop, Corel Painter and Open Canvas.
This entry was posted in LL2-Brooklyn Historical Society. Bookmark the permalink.