Hw1

http://eugenerichards.com/

The photo i picked was from Eugene Richards in “The Blue Room”.  I picked the very first picture of where the dog is laying down and a house in the background. The house looks to be abandoned because of the grass in the front lawn and just the way it looks. What came to my mind when i first looked at this photograph was what is going on with the dog. I’m trying to find out if the dog is dead or alive by just the way its laying down in the grass. I feel like the house in the background with the dog in the grass makes this picture feel a little creepy. The picture also looks very dark maybe with the clouds in the sky or the time of day.

I like the way Eugene Richards used the light in the photograph to add more emotion and feeling. Most of this picture is covered in grass and trees which makes the viewer only look in specific spots that have meaning like the dog and the house in the background. This is really good to make the viewer look where you want them to look and I think the grass and the trees did a good job in doing that. The lack in balance seems to add to the feeling in the picture because the dog seems to stick out from everything else because the dogs is brown and white while everything else in the photograph is green and gray mostly. The viewers attention goes straight to the dog which I feel is the main thing in this photo.

One Response to Hw1

1. rmichals says:

You make a good point that the dog stands out because of color contrast. It aslo stands out because it is the lightest things besides the sky.