HW 1

HW 1

Eugene Richards photography was very touching in my opinion. His work captured one of the most devastating moments in history for America and New York.  I chose the third photograph in his “Stepping Through The Ashes” gallery. His photographs capture vital moments from the tragedy of September 11, 2001. In the photograph that I chose there is a partially demolished building (in the center), street lights on the left side of the picture, and a partial crane on the right side of the image. The mood of this image is melancholy. Richards captures this mood through his black and white composition, also through his focus in his photographs. This particular photograph has significance because it captures the last part(s) of one of the primary buildings that represented our city.

Eugene Richards, use of light/ dark, shape and line allow his photograph to have a strong composition. Richards did use pattern in his photograph by creating a shadow image for the primary images. At first glance I thought that it was an image that was accidentally taken, but I realized that it was done purposefully to create a dynamic composition. Richards’ photograph is balanced by the intensity of black and white. The objects (buildings and light stand etc) are a darker hue the sky is a lighter hue. This helps to direct the viewer’s eye to the primary focus (the broken down buildings). Lastly Richard’s photographic style creates a vintage look, it appears as this was a past memory.

http://www.eugenerichards.com/

This entry was posted in HW1-photo description. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to HW 1

1. rmichals says:

I agree that there is something about this photo that looks accidental. I think that is the fact that the camera must have moved during the exposure to create the double images. It is very haunting.