Homework 1

Tyquan Sinclair

Michael Kenna-New York “Central Park Bench”

When choosing which photographers work to analyze more in depth I chose someone similar to the one I did in class (Dawound Bey), but is way more visually engaging, in my opinion. After all the choices going through my head I’ve decided to do Michael Kenna. Kenna & Bey’s photos are similar because they’re both black and white photos but different because their subjects are total opposites. Bey focuses on people and kenna focus is on objects. Kenna’s most engaging album is her New York album it’s from 1976- 2007. The photograph that speaks to me way more than the others would have to be “Central Park Bench” taken in 2000.

When I look at this Photograph I m getting mixed emotions on the mood. The mood can be Romantic, Soft, and relaxing or it can be Dark, Scary, and terrifying. I’m leaning more towards romantic because through out the whole “New York City” album all of kenna’s photos seem to be relaxing and soft with the subject in focus n background blurred. Kenna is such a Great photographer that her use of line Shape and pattern is brilliant.

In this photo “Central Park Bench” The Bench is in focus but from the angle she caught it the top and bottom of the bench starts to intersect. By the bench intersecting it guides your eyes n brings it to where she really wants you to focus. Not only that but the bench makes a triangle shape with the point being the focal point. The lines in the bench also play a big part in bringing you to the focal point. Around the edge of the photo being dark n the off center being lit more also help with my conclusion that Michael kenna focal point was a little off the center.

http://www.michaelkenna.net/gallery.php?id=14

(2nd Row Last Picture)

This entry was posted in Homework, HW1-photo description. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Homework 1

1. rmichals says:

Dawoud Bey and Michael Kenna’s work couldn’t be more opposite. You are so right. Kenna uses long exposures and that tends to make any water look soft and therefore romantic. This picture looks dark and scary to me but maybe that is what I bring to the picture-fear of deserted parks at night.