Top 5 Trends in Hotels for 2015

http://hospitalitytechnology.edgl.com/news/Top-5-Trends-in-Hotels-for-201597582

This academic article discusses about some of the new trends in hotels. For example, self check ins, booking through online travel agencies (OTAs), and transforming the lobby into more usable spots are some of the new trends. Self check ins is efficient to some people because there is no hassle to simply go their phone or check in through a self computer. But I think it looses the meaning of checking in to a hotel. I prefer to interact and experience the welcoming from a staff member. Some hotels are gearing toward self check self ins to save labor, but in return I feel like it can loose reputation of the hotel. Why would I need to choose a particular hotel if I cannot receive every service from them. I do love the idea of a more functional hotel lobby. I like the though of the lobby becoming a library, a dining room, or a hangout spot. It connects people together and create a lively experience and atmosphere.

This entry was posted in Industry Research Posts. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Top 5 Trends in Hotels for 2015

1. johnadamidis says:

Very interesting article that gives a synopsis of new technological trends that hotels have been integrating in their properties. With the emergence of mobile technology online OTA bookings have increased substantially (Tripadvisor, Expedia, HotelTonight, Booking.com, etc.) and provide an easy interactive way to check various hotels and locations with very competitive pricing. Maybe it’s time for hotels to team up and provide mobile applications and websites that show multiple properties and last minute deals too.
    CitizenM hotels (218 W 50th St, ) is a perfect example of how to offer self check-in without losing the aspect of human interaction with guests and staff. First of all their lobby is a large multi space “communal hub” open 24 hours with various seating areas designed like a home and features places to sit and read a book, hang out with friends and guests, a bar and eating options. The front desk is a round table with computers facing outwards so guests can check-in/out by themselves and Guest Service Agents walk around welcoming and assisting the hotels patrons from showing them how to use the computer interface, or store luggage and provide concierge services. They even serve as baristas and make coffee for you giving a friendly feeling like you are visiting a friends home.

2. Jennifer Lin says:

I been to CitizenM and its rooftop lounge before. It absolutely stunning. It’s one the reason why I fell in love with lifestyle and open style dining room in hotel lobbies. I agree on what you are saying, but I believe it depends on the clientele. I would know certain guest that prefer not not to stay and does not like such interaction because it will consider not as luxury, grand, or simply, “too loud.” But in the other hand I believe a lot of generation x’ers will agree that a funnier check in is the way to go.

3. Luis says:

Great article!!! I can relate to a few of these trends as the Hyatt that I’m interning for applies some of these trends to the hotel. Our lobby area is also an espresso bar, bar, and dining area as well. This entices the guest to use some of these services when they are waiting for their rooms to be ready.
    We also have online self check outs and guests can simply check themselfs out and leave without the hassle of interacting with the front desk agents , primarily for business travelers.