First Responder- Symbolism: The Broken Coin

Synecdoche is a way of perceiving and thinking as well as speaking that singles out some part of a thing as important enough to stand for the whole thing, “a part for the whole”. I think it was a good example when the author said ” When we ask in prayer for our ‘daily bread’, we have more in mind that an all-starch diet.

What exactly is “our daily bread” representing, What do you think it stands for?

Metonymy is referring to one thing by using the name of something associated with it.

When Shakespeare wrote “The Scepter, learning, physic must All follow this, and come to dust”, I feel “come to dust” is associated with death and that’s why its an example of metonymy. But in “A Poetics of Sex” by Mary Jo Salter I don’t get it, What exactly is she referring to by using the name of something associated with it. Is it Parts?

This entry was posted in Assignments. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to First Responder- Symbolism: The Broken Coin

1. redd says:

I think in a way we all speak using synecdoche and metonymy because it is shorter and instead of speaking in full sentences, we speak in terms that get the same message across but shorter words. ” Our daily bread” means we are asking our father in prayer for food but keep in mind we are not saying “my daily bread” but the use of “our” which means that even thought we pray in private or alone we are asking for food for the “whole church” as in the children of god.

Symbol is defined like a metaphor in that is transfers meaning one thing to another but with symbol the current of interest is reversed. How would you be able to tell the difference between a symbol and a metaphor?
    The poem Another Poem About the Heart by Jenn Habel I feel like she is saying the person is somewhat lonely with no one special to love because love only things that has no meaning. “You’re a house in love with the trees beside you” I think this means the person lives by themselves with no one to love but just the loneliness around them.

2. Pingback: Round Up | ENGL 2003: Introduction to Poetry