Information about Plato:

Please post any information that you found for week 4 about Plato or his text “Allegory of the Cave.”

Please also share what you think of when you think of the word philosophy or philosopher, as Plato is one of the most famous philosophers whom we continue to study today.

PLEASE POST BEFORE OUR CLASS ON SEPT 19TH

1. Shannel

Plato was an ancient Greek philosopher. He was a student of Socrates and the teacher of Aristotle (another ancient Greek philosopher). He is best known for his topics of ethics such as politics and metaphysics and also has a heavily influences on western philosophy.

When I think of the word philosophy I think about the study of something, as well as reality and morality. When I think of the word philosopher I think of someone who is well educated usually on the older side of age and very wise.

2. Eshal

Plato was a very well known Philosopher, his most famous work is “The republic” in which a wise society is run by a Philosopher. He believe that freedom is one of the main values of society and so is justice, friendship, courage, wisdom, and moderation. He is best known for his theories of form known as Platonism. His most famous quote is,“The first and greatest victory is to conquer yourself; to be conquered by yourself is of all things most shameful and vile.”.

To me when I think of the word philosophy I think of the word Philosopher and the names of many of them, that’s the first thing that usually pops into mind, especially socrates. I’m not really a fan of philosophy so I tend to zone out when I hear the word or anything related to it since it tends to bore me.

3. Kaylin

Plato was an ancient greek philosopher. He is best known for his topics of ethics such as metaphysics and politics.He was a student of socrates and teacher of aristotle. He believes that freedom is one of the main values of society and so is friendship,justice courage and wisdom.

When i think of the word philosophy i think about the study of something. I also think of the word philosopher.

4. Rosdnier Grullon

Pluto was an ancient Greek philosopher. Pluto wrote the text “Allegory of Cave” to talk about how the descriptive appearances of what we see in the real world. I think of the word philosopher is that I think of a person who is an academic discipline and that is what Pluto was an academic discipline. He was a natural at his own work and was able to develop sererval branches of epistemology, metaphysical, ethics and aesthetics.

5. Kimberly

Plato was a philosopher born in Athens he was one of Socrates students.He is known mostly for his writing he wrote in the form of dialogues.In his writings he would incorporate his philosophical ideas and knowledge.Plato had a lot to do with politics during his time. He believed in order to govern you should be educated by the brightest.Plato’s most famous work is “The Republic” where he uses dialogue and its about justice.

Philosophy to me means a broad sense of knowledge.

6. Christopher Ortega

Plato was a Greek philosopher who was born in Athens. He was a student and taught by the Socrates and later taught another famous Greek philosopher, Aristotle. When I read “Allegory of The Cave” it was an analogy of the split between the real world and the appearances of the world.

When I think of the word philosophy, I think about the study of knowledge or the nature around us or inside of us soul wise.

7. Julio Verdugo

Plato was a Greek philosopher during the time 427-347 B.C.E he is one of the most studied and read philosophers being the student of Socrates and eventually a teacher to Aristotle. After reading Allegory of the cave it interprets multiple ideas but to me the one that is the biggest is how lost in our own reality we can truly be without even knowing it the cave is a symbol of how when your inside that cave the only thing you see in their is mainly just your own opinion your able to choose how to view anything you want when in reality outside of the cave its the true perception of things. The outside cave being enlightenment.

When I think of the word philosopher I think of a person with knowledge that questions everything in existence.

8. fayzah

g

9. fayzah

Greek philosopher Pluto lived in antiquity. The purpose of Pluto’s “Allegory of the Cave” book was to discuss the descriptive appearances of what we observe in the real world. When I hear the word “philosopher,” I picture a person who practices an academic profession, and Pluto did practice an academic subject. He developed significant disciplines of epistemology, metaphysics, ethics, and aesthetics because he was naturally gifted at what he did.