Discussion: Introductions

Please post your responses here and read one another’s responses. We introduced ourselves in class, but here we can go further as well as make connections to our discussions about reading and writing. Please try to post by the end of the day on Thursday, August 31st.

Please add a comment (approx. 100 words) to this post introducing yourself to the class.

• Write a paragraph discussing your academic interests, why you chose your major, what you enjoy reading, listening to, watching, and doing in your spare time, or anything else you want to share (include your pronouns if you wish).
  • Write a paragraph about yourself as a reader and writer. What kinds of readings and writings are you drawn to? What type do you avoid and dislike? Why do you think you lean towards certain types of texts and away from others?

Before next class, please add your introduction.

Get to know your classmates by reading the comments!  Do you have something in common? Did you learn something? Reply to one of your classmates’ comments.

1. Rosdnier Grullon

My name is Rosdnier and my pronouns are he/him. My academic interests are Biology and history. I chose my major radiology because I want to help people in any way I can and plus I always wanted to major something related to anything medical. In my spare time I would watch tv. I also play games in my spare time as well.

As a reader I look for a book that can really grab my attention. I will read pretty much anything no matter what genre it is. As a writer I am looking forward to share my work with others and get feedback on what is good in my writing and what I need to improve on. I don’t avoid certain texts because I am a pretty open minded person. Sometimes I might chose one text over another which causes me to be away from the text because of how interesting the text I read over the other one is.

2. Shannel

My Academic interest is dental hygiene. I chose this major because it offers a rewarding career that is in a growing field, and it will allow me to help others maintain their oral health. I often times enjoy reading urban novels, social media feeds, as well as “The New York Times.” One of my favorite urban novels are “The Coldest Winter Ever” by Sister Souljah. I like to listen to a variety of music as I find it quite difficult to limit myself to only one genre. My watching interest has always been action movies and anime show’s for as long as I can remember. On my free time I like to relax and take naps. My pronouns are she/her and I look forward to getting to learn more about everyone.

As a reader I find it quite interesting to dive into different genres as it allows me to explore the different worlds of literacy. As a writer I aim to convey my thoughts and emotions to stick with others. Writing allows me to express my creativity and share my perspectives to those who are willing to listen. I often times avoid very long text or overly technical ones. I believe that I lean towards certain text based on interest and experience if I relate to it, I’m more willing to read them.

3. Christopher Ortega

What’s up y’all! My name is Christopher, but you can call me Chris or CJ. I am a very chill and laid back person. I am a homebody and usually stay at home most of the time. In my free time, I like to listen to 90s hip hop, especially my favorite 90s rapper Nas. It helps me escape from reality and the world, especially with songs I can relate to. A couple more things I like to do in my free time is play video games, watch the New York Mets, and hang out with my friends whenever I can. Also, I am a good listener. I am willing to support anyone that is going through a tough time in their life. It makes me feel happy knowing I can support someone that needs support. Last but not least, I am a hard worker. I am willing to work to the best of my ability to reach any goal I have set for myself, which is getting into the Rad Tech program, getting my degree, and getting my dream job as an X-Ray tech. With all that being said, I hope you all have a great semester! THE WORLD IS YOURS!

As a writer and reader, I think of a lot of ideas before I write down what I want to write. I think of what can make my paper,essay, or report interesting with the way I express myself in it. I am into Sci-Fi books and shows. I can be really interested in stuff like that because it can draw you in with crazy things or creatures. like for example the demogorgon from “Stranger Things”. I am not interested in stuff like romance. It just doesn’t catch my eye. That is how I think of myself as a writer and reader.

4. fayzah

COLLAPSE

Hello, my name is Fayzah Al-katabi I am 19 years old , This is my second semester at City Tech, and I still think about a major . I prefer quietness than noise . I am a introverted person , one of my favorite things that I love to do is taking photos and editing videos. I love traveling, trying new things, having fun, hanging out, shopping, and watching movies/shows.

I dont have a favorite book , i like to watching but i well start read more

The last thing good thing I watched was probably ” The Sound of Freedom” in theaters, I don’t want to spoil it but it made me cry so much Go watch it if you didn’t. I’m also enjoying “Love Island USA season 5” I’m watching it with my besties and we love to criticize and judge the contestants so fun.

5. Eshal

My name is Eshal and I am currently a nursing major. I chose this major because of something that happened to me a while back and during the hospital stay the nurses really helped me and gave me inspiration to be like them and help out others who were in a bad place just like I was back then. I enjoy watching shows and reading, for reading more so fictional stories rather than anything that’s non-fiction, it’s my little escape from reality that brings me joy. Non-fictional texts always tend to make me bored and stray away from reading. I hope we all have a good college journey and successfully achieve our goals.

6. Kaylin

I chose my major because Ive always been interested in medical the medical field. Since I was younger I used to always talk about being a doctor and now im just pursuing my dream. Im not really big on reading but I do like poems. I like watching Medical shows like Grey’s Anatomy. I listen to anything really. I work in my spare time.

When it comes to reading and writing I’ve never been one to be too interested in. I notice that when I read I get bored and never finish the book. When I was in high school the only time I enjoyed reading was when I was reading a book called “Heavy” by Kiese Laymon with my class. If I am reading I am drawn to poems and fiction books. I lean towards certain types of texts instead of others because Most texts I find boring.

7. Jaylin

Hello may name is Jaylin you can call me jay for short . I am majoring in radiology and the reason why I chose my major was because as growing up my mother used to work at a radiology office . At first I wanted to be a doctor well a Nero surgeon or an orthopedic surgeon . I got into the interest of it because I loved the fact that doctors can save lives and that they are able to find ways to cure people . What made me change my mind to make me become a radiologist was the fact that doctors also have to do about 10 years of college and the fact that someones life is in your hand and one mess up your career is over . While on the other hand radiologist they still have power to help people just through machines and other ways . But that is why I chose radiology as my major because I grew interest in it and it became something I wanted to do . I like reading science fiction books also mystery books . I’m not that much of a reader honestly but when I do read I can read books in those genres . What I like to watch is scary movies and thriller movies and some mystery and action movies or shows . What I like to do on my spare time is hang out with friends and family and my girlfriend and playing videos games . My pronouns are she , her .

The type of readings and writings that im drawn to is science fiction , mystery , thriller , horror . The type I avoid is like document sometimes and drama and romance because certain of those readings and writings don’t catch my eye or attention .I think I lean towards certain texts and away from others because I need something that will keep me intrigued and entertained . I can’t read a book or writing that doesn’t catch my attention or eye .