Response#9

After having read ‘A Rose for Emily’, I felt like this story wasn’t as gothic as the yellow wallpaper, but it sure gave me the chills. The yellow wallpaper atleast gave the reader a feel of suspense and anxiety. With all the presidential elections going on, I felt like this story reminded me a lot about the political views seen nowadays with the whole taxation enforcement trying to be put on Emily. The only gothic feel in the story was towards the end. Emily seemed to have felt a bit overwhelmed maybe. She was probably anxious and self-concious about what would happen to her now so called lover. She was probably jealous at the thought of losing him was driving her to hide him from society which was probably why she bought this powerful poison. Nothing was heard for years and when the townspeople came into this home for her funeral, they were shocked to find out that she had murdered Homer and that he was stretched on the bed along with wedding items in the room and a strand of Emily’s gray hair. This scenery was very creepy to imagine it in my head just because I would’ve bever thought Emily seemed so wicked. This was freaky because it wasn’t until the townspeople opened the door to this top floor that they found this dead body decaying.

This entry was posted in Response 9. Bookmark the permalink.