Response 6

In all honesty I’m not interested in this book compared to the others. I feel like all the gothic features that happened in Frankenstein really captured the difference of gothic literature. From my understanding, in Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Mr. Utterson is a wealthy & well respected lawyer from London. He has a close relationship with Mr. Enfield, who happens to be his distant relative. I’m noticed within pages 57-62, Mr. Utterson was described as someone whose More so different because of how plain he dresses and his height. Mr. Jekyll seemed like a bit of a slack off because he was described as going wrong, even in his mind. It’s kind of like he was doing great for himself then once he began to drank he fell off if I’m not mistaking. Mr. Hyde seemed a little stand off-ish towards Mr. Utterson as if he didn’t care to meet anyone or have a conversation with them. The only part of the book I can say seemed very gothic would have to be the setting. The setting was portrayed as a dark area where it seemed as if no one lived there when in all actually people did. At night all evil came to life. Kind of like a vampires life.

This entry was posted in Response 6. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Response 6

1. I agree with you that the setting seems to be more gothic than the story itself. We can see that gothic literature has a huge effect on Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. For example, the description of London, makes London seem as a place deserted and sinister. The murders also seem even more evil because much of the book happens at night time. It gives the whole book a mysterious atmosphere, in which dark secrets and things happen.