Let’s Discuss! Reflections on Frankenstein!

“What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!” I always wanted to use that quote somewhere. Anyway, after finishing the novel of Frankenstein, I can not help but feel it makes a lot of impact. Whether it be Social issues in its time, to the multitude of issues in the novel among its characters, it was a force to be reckoned with. I feel this novel presents the idea that everyone is innately good, and the events that unfold in ones life can change that. The rich have power, the poor have suffering. Not much has changed in today’s world. Victor has these traits, but he’s also an anomaly. He can be corrupted, and use his high stature and power wrongly, but he also throws it away. Often times, throughout the beginning of the novel, he spends all his time secluded, isolated away from the world. Even in the company of his friends such as Henry, Victor tells him to leave him be. Victor is a procrastinator, putting off marrying Elizabeth, putting off building a female companion for the Creature. Speaking of Elizabeth, she too would be considered an outcast. In this novel, women are like property. Never once in her life was she talked to about marrying Victor, it was just the purpose. Perhaps she was fine with that. Perhaps women in that time were fine with things like that. I say this because in her letter to Victor, she acknowledges their “bond purpose” and awaits for his return. Times were different for women back then, and it’s not out of the realm of possibility that even though women were treated less than what they should have been, it was accepted by everyone; women too.

This entry was posted in Response 4. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Let’s Discuss! Reflections on Frankenstein!

1. Alison says:

I agree with your analyzation of the text that Shelley portrays all humans as inately good. It is through their life experiences that they become corrupt and evil. For the women in the text I feel you are right that they are just possessions but they also have a voice. Elizabeth spoke out against Justine being condemned to death. While they are merely objects of the men’s affection they do have a voice.

2. BDingle says:

I agree with you, the things that Mary Shelly put in this book is really a reflection of what goes on in today’s society and even back in the time that she lived. The idea of you are a product of your environment is something that strikes me in this novel because in novel both Victor and the creature can be considered a product of their environment. Even when Victor was young when he was presented Elizabeth in a way may have damaged him physiologically and he became a product of what his mother made him go through. And then the creature after being created he was chased by villagers, and even Victor was neglecting the creature, and in turn the creature became violent and started this reign of terror. So yes everyone may start off good but their environment can make them turn out different