Frankenstein at his worst/best?

As the novel ended for me, it left me in awe due to many twists and turns the story takes all the way towards the end. Shelley rises many questions as to how Victor could intentionally  be mediating about killing his family. The death of Elizabeth is the biggest twists for us as an audience to be thinking that Victor would be dying on his wedding night for not fulfilling his promise with the creature. Instead, the dramatic death of Elizabeth symbolizes the correlation of both the creature and Victor’s lives. Elizabeth’s death reveals the creatures intentions to make Victor feel how it feels to be lonely. However, if we use a different perspective by seeing the creature as Victor’s own true self/mirror image, we can also say that Elizabeth’s death was not a shock to begin with. As I learned from the novel, Victor has no such interests for Elizabeth because his main interest has been his scientific studies and experiments. Victor’s creation indirectly shows the loneliness, stubbornness, and inconsideration from Victor towards family and friends. The creatures loneliness symbolizes the emptiness Victor should feel by neglecting this beloved ones. His hunger for fame and becoming the new God of science was unsuccessful due to Victor leaving no trace of his research and experiments. Therefore, his work never went under recognition and all the way towards the end of the story, we see the creature putting himself on fire. This action taken by the creature portrayed his existence is worth nothing if he’ll further on get hated by society, he’ll be living all alone, and it also might portray that the creature takes his last revenge by destroying Victor’s most precious creation which will never come in recognition now as well as proving Victor to be a selfish man with everything to lose.

This entry was posted in Response 4. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Frankenstein at his worst/best?

1. NickolineD says:

It was indeed a very ominous and creepy ending that was pretty hard to swollow. I especially liked how you touched on why the Creature did what he did. It seems to me like Victor didn’t appreciate what he had, so the Creature wanted him to see the error of his ways. I never thought that Victor disliked Elizabeth however. I always figure that he cares for her in a more platonic way than he wished. Honestly he seemed more upset about the death of Henry than Elizabeth. I think this is what brings the “queer goth” into question. Maybe his “hatred” for Elizabeth wasn’t hatred at all but sexual frustration and confusion. Maybe he was confused about orientation and for that he saw Elizabeth as an obstacle he had to complete, not one he wanted to complete like most men at the time. I think that’s where his underlining frustration for her comes from and why it mirrors into the form of the Creature killing her; it’s like a weight off his shoulders because he doesn’t have to think about those things men have to think about.