Family Dynamics

When reading chapter 10-16, hearing the story of Frankenstein from his own words was very interesting. It was also comforting to realize that Frankenstein was not just a dumb creature who was hell bent on revenge. He had the emotions of a human and the wants and desires of a regular person. Us as regular people have the want and desire of a family. We want someone who can comfort us when we need it. We want someone who can’t make us feel happy and comforted even when times are bad. The dynamics of the De Lacey family was especially important on Frankenstein’s feelings. Knowing the story of the family and seeing how they still cared for each other and helped each other out even though they were struggling. The strong nature and good will of Felix was something that kept that family together and to me was the backbone of the family. Agatha was the sweet and caring daughter who made sure that Felix and Mr. DeLacey had what they needed. And even Mr. De Lacey who couldn’t even help himself held the family together with his music playing and good nature. In all this family was very wholesome and anyone watching from the outside would want people as nice as the De Lacey family around them. Even when Safie came around and made Felix even more happier, this was heartwarming for Frankenstein. The idea of family and having people around to help support and comfort you really appealed to Frankenstein because he had no family, his own creator tossed him aside and called him disgusting, and just like human, Frankenstein wanted to be loved and cared for.

This entry was posted in Response 3. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Family Dynamics

1. NickolineD says:

I was very confused when you called The Creature “Frankenstein” but after a bit I caught on. I think the point was that The Creature didn’t just want any love, but he wanted the love of Victor, his creator. The love he was yearning for was familial or parental love. I think the point is that a lack of parental love when you are a child can seriously alter a person. The Creature was basically a child when he was created and his lack of love from Victor is what caused him to become the way he is now.