Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #21: Reflecting and Building the Portfolio

The two smaller pieces that I chose are Micro Activity # 3 “Brain Storming Discourse Communities” and Micro-Activity #13: Drafting the Annotations . I chose these two pieces because these assignments were somewhat of a challenge . In Micro Activity # 3 I had a difficult time coming up with issues to address within my discourse community.  Perhaps I wasn’t fully grasping the concept of a DC and who my target  audience was going to be.  I thought about changing the piece to a different discourse community but eventually I just stuck with my original idea. I had to do a lot of brainstorming to come up with a message to deliver to my discourse community.  Browsing the internet was very helpful to come up with  ideas to use in  my short assignment. The assignment Micro-Activity #13: Drafting the Annotations was overwhelming  because I had a lot of reading and research to conduct . I read a lot of material and researched different genres to find the right piece to fit  into my annotated bibliography. I found so much information related to my Annotated Bibliography  that it became a challenge to choose what was important and what I needed to utilize. This  assignment  taught me to narrow down on information and choose the material that reflects my Research Question. In the end It was stressful to create these assignments but it did give me an opportunity to learn from my struggles and  to educate me on future assignments.

1. Ruth Garcia

Vanessa, I’d like to hear more on your struggle with the research, how you went about conquering that challenge, and how this might be useful for other classes where you feel challenged by a writing assignment.