Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #17: Choosing a Discourse Community

The discourse community I think would benefit from my research is definitely low-income students. Students with lower income face more disadvantages when applying for college, due to out-of-pocket costs. I believe outside of a college financial advisor office, they do not know much about the subject. They might just take what the advisor says, think it over with a friend or family, and agree to take out a loan. A concern they may have is although their classes would be paid off, they still have to owe a lot of money. Another concern they may have is finding out how interest and hidden fees will sneakily appear, without any knowledge.  This information would benefit this discourse community because it will help them understand how severe this loan affect their wellbeing and finances day by day. It will give them more information beyond the advisor’s office and see the pros and cons of student loans and debts. I think the best method to reach this community is through trendy apps like TikTok and Instagram. TikTok videos are always going viral rather it is on its own app or through Twitter or Instagram. Viral videos on TikTok and Instagram also gain about 1 million or more views and it always gets shared and liked.

1. Ruth Garcia

Great. So this would be for high school students about to graduate? If so, how would you get the TikTok video or instagram posts to them? Would a pamphlet or informational format of some other genre also be a possibility?