Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #12: Researching

Due to this deadly disease, the coronavirus, I was concerned/interested about others living in certain facilities where they don’t have as much freedom as we do. For example, jails and prisons. Certain protocols we take in order to keep safe is 6 ft distance to reduce the risk of the virus. In jails and prisons, inmates’ social distancing is impossible in those facilities. I’m interested because I have a similar personal connection to the situation. The spread of coronavirus in jails and prisons threatens the health and safety of those incarcerated. My older brother was incarcerated a few years ago, I was curious to know what if he was still incarcerated during this time with the pandemic what would the protocols taken be. It’s important to know what protocols the government made or took to ensure everyone’s safety. Also healthcare staff and medical workers, to know what they’re doing to keep everyone safe. As well as other staff, the changes were made to keep a certain limit of staff. Answers and information I expect to find in response to my question is the truth about our prison system that we need to reform once this pandemic is over, the capacity to evaluate incarcerated persons to lower the rise of the virus, the overall amount of people tested positive in facilities, the advantages and disadvantages of releasing inmates. If I find something that does not fit in my hypothesis, I will have backup questions and also the perspective of those incarcerated who were interviewed. Other sources to rely on to prove my hypothesis. 

1. Ruth Garcia

So is your questions–what precautions and policies are being instituted in prisons to protect those that are incarcerated from the covid-19 virus?