Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #12: Researching

research question: Does social media have a negative effect in young adults brain’s psychology?

Initially, I developed an interest in this question from brainstorming a few topics I already had in mind that was on a par with the level of passion similar to that of the composers, and signers of The Declaration of Independence. Another influence for my topic came from reading other student’s topics for this assignment because it inspired me to develop my vague ideas into a more detailed question ( However, I would like a comment on my new question because I am unsure if brain psychology is the correct terminology to use in this context).

To me, mental health is a topic of personal interest. I would like to research and understand the complexity of our human brain; to learn about the long-term negative effects it leaves on our health and what aspect is specifically responsible for causing the problems. My main concern for this assignment is finding answers that will respond directly to the question I have. Taking into consideration all the different age groups, I want to emphasize with the younger generation, who seem to have experience with this issue for the majority of their life in comparison to the older generation. I expect I will find an answer that suggests negative health effects that are related to our brain from using social media too often– such as depression, anxiety, trauma, and addiction. But if I find an answer that doesn’t fit my hypothesis, I will have to adapt my research paper and develop a new answer. This would be my first time writing a paper where the outcome is indecisive, but I hope that my final answer is one that could help explain why younger people feel so attached to social media.

1. Ruth Garcia

We discussed this in office hours –so keep going and catch up with the other posts.