Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #12: Researching

My research question is What are the causes of Mass Incarceration?

What interested  me about this topic is the United states has the most highest incarceration rate in the world, which begged the question is this really the “Land of the Free”?

Individuals are placed in jail or prison for various reasons, ranging from grand larceny to first degree murder. But,  the rate at which these crimes occur fail to align with the numbers, there seems to be a system or a quota that the government uses to deliberately place people in prisons. The government is often mistrusted by the people due to the scandals of the people within it, and the many issues that remain unsolved for the people in society. When researching i expect to find answers as to why mass incarceration is occurring, and the overall agenda behind this occurrence. There has been many documentaries, articles, and even segments of talk shows where they discuss the issues of mass incarceration and how it has affected families and the lives of people. Based on my research, the Prison Industrial complex plays a role in elevated incarceration rates. The prison industrial complex is the use of policing, surveillance, and imprisonment as solutions to economic, social, and political problems. Thus fueling the idea that the government could have developed a system or quota which causes them to benefit off the imprisonment of people.

If i come across something that does not fit in my hypothesis, i will find an aspect of it that will correctly align with it to help support my ideas. This would also include even slightly widening the perspective of my hypothesis in order to satisfy anything that fails to connect.

1. Ruth Garcia

This is excellent and a very close draft to what you will need for the introductory section of your annotated bibliography. There was one sentence I got stuck on is this: “. But, the rate at which these crimes occur fail to align with the numbers ”
    I wasn’t clear on what you meant by this part.
    And in terms of finding information that doesn’t align–I would say it would be better to think reconsider your hypothesis and see where it leads you, unless the information does not seem reliable.