Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Discussion: Library Databases

Use commenting to reply to the following questions: What library online database are you most likely to use? Can you see yourself using these databases instead of Google? Why or why not?  

1. amenah elenani

The library online database that I would most likely use is LexisNexis. I do see myself using LexisNexis instead of google for certain topics that I might want legal sources to. However, I would still use google for other questions, research questions, etc. Google can provide me with more information and sources but LexisNexis can provide more specific sources, can be limited but would answer questions that I have in a more direct form (if I want certain legal and business answers to my topic)

• Ruth Garcia

Google actually doesn’t provide more information, but Google does help is that you can google the whole question and the search engine does the work of figuring out the search terms for you,

2. evan

The data base from the schools website that I have chosen is called J STOR . Th reason I like JSTOR compared to google is it allows me to isolate my ideas for my question better which allows me to organize my thoughts and ideas better. For my paper i will use a combination of both because i feel like both search engines bring different views to my ideas and allow me to see different perspectives

• Ruth Garcia

I also recommend LexisNexis, Academic Search Complete, and Opposing Viewpoints

3. Shannon Forrester

The library database I will be using is City Tech Library. Of course if I don’t see a certain article or book I’m looking for that relates to my topic, then I’ll use Google search or a different database. Sometimes Google is quicker to find PDF version of a book or journal, but shows more unreliable sources. Library database shows more reliable sources but can be a bit tedious for quicker results.

• Ruth Garcia

When you get to the library site you go to the right hand side of the page and choose “find articles” and then use the alphabet at the top and use it to find the databases you want. I recommend these: LexisNexis, Academic Search Complete, and Opposing Viewpoints

4. Vanessa

Yes, I will be using a data base site. The date base I am using is Wiley Online Library. I see myself using the data base because it provides material that is factual. These sites are specifically created to be used for research information. This means that the information is peer reviewed and reliable. I can also see my self using google but I have to be cautious because I can potentially come across unreliable false information since google is not regulated for truthful content.

• Ruth Garcia

Okay–are you using a particular source in the Wiley Online? I also recommend LexisNexis, Academic Search Complete, and Opposing Viewpoints

5. Jayme Campos

The library database I’m most like going to be using is NexisUni or JSTOR aswell as LexisNexis. I see myself using these online databases instead of google because I have used these websites before for previous classes, for NexisUni and LexisNexis I like to find either political sources or sources with lots of statistics and information, and JSTOR I use it because it’s filled with journals and papers. Only reason why I would use google is to look up some documentaries since I know I could find some about my topic.

• Ruth Garcia

Great. I’ve never used NexisUni–good to know about it. And definitely make sure you find a variety of genres for your sources.

6. Shahnoza

I might use JSTOR and LexisNexis, however I am so used to using google and feel comfortable using google. the other database is useful to find credible information and it has more choices to choose from. I know google has more useless information and most may not even be credible.

• Ruth Garcia

The question of the credibility of a source is super important. You can still use google –just take extra time to think about the credibility of your source. Even with the databases you need to think about the writer’s perspective and purpose and question and think about whether you want to believe what they say. Though you definitely question the credibility differently online–you have to be more careful because its not filtered for you at all.

7. Kathy

It is my first time using varieties of the library online databases, so I am not sure which one I prefer to use the most. I can see myself using these databases instead of Google. Databases seem more reliable and precise than Google for the research because it contains more accurate information to find what I am looking for. It also helps me to narrow down my research topic when I am using the research techniques to find my answers. This is what I have learned from the Spring semester. Also, it was my first try at the City Tech library database. However, if I could not find any answers on the databases, then I have to use google instead, which I have done this the last semester.

• Ruth Garcia

It is good to use both Google and the databases. But you are right–as I said to Shahnoza right above you that credibility is really important.

8. Maiya

Databases i am most likely to use is City Tech Library, JSTOR, and Google. Though Google is not as reliable you mainly have to put in the work to verify the credibility of the article, which makes it a back up if i need more information.

9. Guilherme

I have used LexisNexis and will probably keep using it for other researches. I would prefer using a database instead of Google because the result are more reliable and some are peer reviewed . Also, since Google results are usually personalized to the device it is used to do the search the result could be very different. If I make the same search on different devices I might get completely different results for each device as well as the more financially viable result for Google tend to be the first results. Databases are on a different level, its content tend to be more directed into cataloging trusted and reliable material.

10. Ruth Garcia

This comment is for all of you:
    Many of you–including Maiya and Guilherme in these last two replies–like google but worry that it is not reliable. An option is to use google scholar and set it up so that it links to things in our library. Here are the steps:
    1. go to google scholar
    2. click on the three lines on the top left hand corner
    3. click on settings
    4. click on “Library links” on the right hand side
    5. search for New York City College of Technology
    6. check off all the boxes that come up. they are
    – New York City College of Technology
    – New York City College of Technology – Find full text at NYCCT
    – NEW YORK CITY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY – NY – ProQuest Fulltext
    7. Then save.
    After that when you search in google scholar it should show you when a source is in our library–this information will appear on the right hand side of the column of results

11. Anny

The online database I am most likely to use is Opposing Viewpoints. I have found that this database gives me much more in depth sources to what I am looking for and is far more reliable. However, it is easier to find specific sources quickly with google so I believe I will be using both google and this database to research topics from now on.