Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

“Micro-Activity #9: Analyzing the Declaration of Independence”

The declaration of independence is one of the oldest but most important parts of American history.it is broken down into many various parts which explains the rights of the people. The first part explains that every man is equal and are given rights upon birth. The next part speaks about how if the government is abusing power the people have the right to abolish the government. The last part seems to go in to the aspects that could get a leader overthrown for example raising taxes without consent and stopping trade with the rest of the world . and finally the last part is how America is now free from the British control.

The document in my personnel opinion seems very persuasive because it shows the American people that over time thing can change and that as there needs change so will the ability to change the constitution and the ability to check peoples power.

Randy Barret of The Washington post makes some interesting points on the declaration and how he interprets it for example his number 7 quote which states “Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.” from the declaration. I feel like this quote embodies what is going on now because I just feel like thing are just way to bad for us not to vote in a new president ,but I still feel like it isn’t bad enough to overthrow the government .If we are even bringing up the declaration things are definitely getting really bad.

1. Ruth Garcia

Nice connection to the declaration. I also think that people are asking for change–yes with a new President–but also with other areas of government. They’re not seeking to overthrow but demanding change.