QUOTE

only in the beginning of
your national career, still lingering in the period of childhood. I repeat, I am glad this is so.
There is hope in the thought, and hope is much needed, under the dark clouds which lower ( FREDRICK DOUGLAS ,© 2013 The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, What To the negro is fourth of july. )

paraphrase- this quote to me means that america is so young and has so much to look forward to and so much promise.

response- to me this quote relates to the interpretation of the text because it shows how black people are slowly trying to get there rights and they to have promise for a better and they keep hope alive that they can be free

quote –

What, to the American slave, is your 4th of July? I answer; a day that reveals to him, more than
all other days in the year, the gross injustice and cruelty to which he is the constant victim. To
him, your celebration is a sham; your boasted liberty, an unholy license; your national
greatness, swelling vanity; your sounds of rejoicing are empty and heartless; your
denunciations of tyrants, brass fronted impudence; your shouts of liberty and equality, hollow
mockery; your prayers and hymns, your sermons and thanksgivings, with all your religious
parade, and solemnity, are, to him, mere bombast, fraud, deception, impiety, and hypocrisy—a
thin veil to cover up crimes which would disgrace a nation of savages. There is not a nation on

paraphrase – Fredrick Douglas here is calling out the men and women of america for celebrating and using black people the same way they where used by the british

response -the quote supports my interpretation of the text because it showing how Americans in this time where frauds and how they where mostly living off of the good things there ancestors did and have the gall to be proud of it as if they themselves did it. also how Americans talk about freedom and justice but still have slaves

part 2

quote-“The evil that men do, lives after them, The good is oft interred with their bones.”

The writing strategy I believe fredrick Douglas use is metaphor for this statement

impact- the impact this has on the text or to the reader is fredrick is saying that eventually all the good people like Washington did will fade but terrible thing like enslaving black people will come to light and will live on forever.

quote2- Must I argue the wrongfulness of slavery? Is that a question for Republicans? Is it to be settled by the rules of logic and argumentation, as a matter

strategy- the writing strategy Douglas uses here is rhetorical question .

impact – the impact this has on the reader is fredrick is showing the reader and the listeners I don’t have to answer this question because we both know your wrong slavery is wrong . he is emphasizing the fact that even the people who argue for slavery know they are wrong.