Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 2: Introduction to Discourse Communities

Quote: “One of the many things that I did learn in the investigative process was that university clocks move at different speeds in different parts of a university”

Response: This quote was really interesting to me because it doesn’t sound like it’s referring to a timeline I am used to, it sort of sounds like a fantasy in a way that people are experiencing the same time, but at a different pace.

Quote: “On the other hand, in the Computer Center, the part-time employment of ever-changing streams of short-stay students meant that any sense of community, a sense that “we are all more or less on the same page”, never really developed.”

Response: I picked this quote because it more or less summarizes the importance a discourse community really emphasizes when it comes to team plays and work groups.

-From my understanding of the topic-“discourse communities” it is necessary to build an environment where everyone in the community has a similar goal in mind, with a certain level of expertise & knowledge. I think that if I apply this concept to my personal life I could list bodybuilding, cinematography, and gaming. Each of these communities each have their own way of doing things.

For example, In bodybuilding, people go to the gym to improve their health and build some muscles. We learn through trial and errors and we choose to set goals that make us feel better. In the gym environment, everyone has a similar goal in mind but it varies from person to person.

In cinematography, I like to edit videos and experiment with different styles of focus. People in this community all share some skills in visual effects and want to improve their own personal style for movies, videos, comercials, etc.

In gaming communities, its very similar because many video games are making their own concepts more challenging as players get better. I think that “esports” has the potential to be a discourse community although it is usually a “solo-ist” category

1. Ruth Garcia

Good work here! You have three interesting DCs. I encourage you to think even further about the tr hings that define each (not for here but for moving forward to help you choose a DC for Unit 1). In each example you focus on goals and skills. But remember DCs share values, beliefs, ways of communicating and behaving.

• evan

i really liked how you interpreted the first quote i viewed it a little differently for example how people can be into different things but lot of things take more time and patience and others move rapidly but we all have the same 8 hours i also connect with your dc about the gaming community because most people do view it as a solo thing to do

• evan