Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 2: Introduction to Discourse Communities

Quote 1: “The clock goes very slowly in the Herbarium. If a botanist wants to borrow some specimens from Michigan, he or she needs to agree to keep them for at least two years, and may actually keep them for decades.”

Response:  This is very interesting to me because the Concept of time is enormous itself. Which is a hard to comprehend but in this community are looking at different views than the original concept, that is something that make it stood out to me.

Quote 2: “Thus, members of a DC may have different first languages, different religions, and belong to diverse ethnicities.”

Response: This is teaching us a important lesson that it doesn’t matter who we are and what is our background and long as we have similar interests and understanding it can be a safe heaven for that group of people.

Three Discourse Communities:

1. Family is my first Discourse Communities because it doesn’t matter what problems that I may go through they are always going to be there for by my side.
  2. Friends is my second Discourse Communities because no matter what how close you are to your family but there is something that you can only share with your friends. So they are someone that I can trust others then my family.
  3. School is my third Discourse Communities become this is the place where I can build myself as the person that I want to become and it there to help me become that person.

1. Ruth Garcia

I also really like the quotation on time–it makes the point that how we view time in terms of deadlines or what is current can really vary depending on our DC.

As for your list of DCs, you need to be more specific with all. What are the values, beliefs, ways of behaving and communicating that are unique to you and a group of other people. For example, school is too large, but students in you major all have similar goals, ways of communicating and thinking, and process you follow that are not the same for students another groups. You could also use your family as a way of thinking what DCs you all as a group participate in. Where do your family’s ways of thinking, believing come from? What about your goals and ways of communicating? Likely there are many answers to this and many DCs you all participate in.