Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity # 2: Introduction to Discourse Communities

Quote 1: “For instance, when we visit a department in the university that is new to us, our immediate impression is typically one of a homogeneous and sedate disciplinary world with wide agreements about such matters as methodology and epistemology. However, the more we get to know it, the more it seems to be fragmented and compartmentalized, and perhaps even fractious and adversative (Tannen 1998). ”

Response: I agree with this context, to an outsider coming in it may seem that a University department discourse community is flawless and that everyone is accordance, when that may not be the case.Ā  Discourse communities may have a similar goal but perhapsĀ  different beliefsĀ  on how it should be managed.

Quote 2:Ā  “This expansion then is designed to recognize that a DC is not necessarily utopian in flavor; it also acknowledges that DCs can flourish in darker worlds, such as those represented by Al-Qā€™aida, price-fixing cabals, or industry pressure groups.”

Response: I find it interesting that Discourse Communities can be so diverse. They can be formed in any kind of groups or environments. Either in a positive or negativeĀ  common interests.

The first discourse community I am a member of is theĀ  American Society for Radiologist Technologists (ASRT).Ā  The goal of this community is to keep Radiologic Technologists up to date with new research and technologies in the field , to provide support, and publish articles forĀ  continued education (CE) . An assumption in the ASRT community is that all members have a drive to further educate themselves. This DC communicates by emails, newsletters, and online support groups.

As an alumni at Bronx Community College (BCC) I was a member of the PHI THETTA KAPPA honor society. The values of this discourse community is to maintain members in good academic standing, provide academic support, and merit members achievements. An assumption of this honorsĀ  program is that it will interfere with their school curriculum when reality they are flexible and understanding with members schedules. Communication was set up with monthly meetings on campus, an online group, and emails.

A focal Discourse Community I am a part of is my local Gym. The values of this DC is to workout and get into a better shape without any bias. An assumption that many new members have at the gym , is that they believe that in order to get in better physical shape they have to exercise for long immense hours.Ā  We communicate in small group meetings, through text, and emails.

1. Ruth Garcia

Excellent work! You did a great job with your quotes and then applying the ideas of the article to your own DCs.