Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - OL78 | Fall 2020

Micro-Activity #2

Quote 1: ”The latter was premised on a homogeneous assemblage of people who share place, background, language variety and who largely share social, religious, and cultural values. Such communities tend to be small and isolated, such as those existing in mountain villages, or on small islands, or in desert oases. “

Response: I can relate to this quote very well because often times people when people are from the Caribbean they are often asked if they are from Jamaica or Trinidad. This is often annoying because there are many other Caribbean countries and we can share similar traditions but not all be from the same country.

Quote 2: “Fine, but we now need to emphasize the roles of new digital channels, such as emails, blogs, tweets, etc., and we also need to stress that without any means of intercommunication of any kind, there is no real community.”

Response: I agree with this quote because often times we rely mainly on technology to communicate with each other as a society. We can be in contact with family members on the other side of the world with the click of a button and it is very convenient. For example, I talk to my uncles and aunts in Guyana through skype and it’s easy for them to reach me at any time even though they are so far away.

The first discourse community that I am a part of is my church. The reason why I choose my church is that we all strive to be closer to god and we aim to be as christ-like as possible. We communicate with each other through Zoom, Phone calls and in-person at Sunday church service.

The second discourse community that I am a part of is my work community. I chose work as a discourse community because we all want success for our store and each other. We communicate constantly to ensure that we are all on the same page and know everything that goes on from sales to procedure changes etc. We are all one family.

The third discourse community that I am a part of is my Fantasy football League. I chose this group as my discourse community because we are in constant communication trying to make trades to improve our teams and try to be the champion of the league. We communicate through text and phone calls. We all have the same goal.

1. Ruth Garcia

I would encourage you to think more in depth about your DCs. These are good choices but can you add specificity to each. For example–what denomination is your church–this affects beliefs and values and ways of talking and being. Or what kind of store, how does this type of job different from any other–do you have special ways of communicating, processes only those in it understand, is there a particular personality that is valued. What is unique to those in this type of job that others would not necessarily get? Also, I know nothing about Fantasy Football, but how does it function, where, what is terminology, values, goals specific to the group?