Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - HD40 | Spring 2022

Preliminary Research and Picking a Topic

The topic that I choose to talk about is the exclusion of transgender individuals in sports. Many people believe the claim that transgender women have a competitive advantage over cisgender women in sports but it is unclear if this was proven to be true. One individual that sparks a debate in todays current event was Lia Thomas. Because Lia Thomas is a transgender women who originally competed as a man in swimming and did not ever really get high ranking until they became a woman, then they started scored first place or having high ranking. The transgenders person act of 2019 was created to protection of trans rights. It protects transgender individuals against  discrimination in education, employment, and, healthcare. Swimming is not just a sport to some transgenders, but their form of employment and with this can provide equal the gender justice. Without this protection act in place; they were unable to compete without discrimination, but the ethical dilemmas could easily be that changing your gender is an easy way to win awards. There was also legislation that prohibited transgender athletes from competing in sports against athletes of the other biological Sex. In April of 2020 the ACLU filed a lawsuit Hecox vs. Little arguing that the law Violated the U.S. constitution Titled IX. The three questions that I have are, what id that moral dilemma posed by the inclusion of transgender women in sports? What might be some ethical alternative to the issue? And lastly is there any proof that transgender athletes help or hurt the women image?

1. Ruth Garcia

Great topic! I would just pick one of your questions as the focus of your Op-Ed. I think either of these would work well:
    What is that moral dilemma posed by the inclusion of transgender women in sports?
    — Though I might rewrite this to say Is there an ethical dilemma issue of equity with including transgender women in women’s sport and then argue yes or know and explain why.
    What might be some ethical alternative to the issue?