Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - HD40 | Spring 2022

Brainstorming Discourse Communities and Research

The discourse community that I’ve decided to do my research on is the gym community. I’m occasionally at the gym when I’m not busy and it’s a hobby that I enjoy. The problem that I’ll be elaborating on is the use of substances. Substances that give you a physical advantages have been distributed for decades now but there are many who don’t seem to mind it. A reason why they might even think of using it is for tournaments in which you compete for money. An example of this is Ronnie Coleman. In an article by menshealth, it states that Ronnie was “tired of losing in competitive tournament.” After he began getting to the middle ranks, he started using steroids and growth hormones. This was back when full use of steroids was completely legal and many competitors took advantage of it. However, he didn’t know the long term effects for uses of these steroids as he would recently be going in and out of the hospital due to his poor health cause of the substances he took over the years.

I want to share awareness to bodybuilders and gym bros around the world to stop replying on the use of these pathetic substances. Yes, it might help you win a few competitions here and there but there is no way you should risk your health in doing so. Many have built physiques due to years of hard work and dieting. There should no way people are taking the easy way to their path of becoming built and its not fair to others. Working out in the gym all about having fun and being able to progress from months and years of hard work.

1. Ruth Garcia

Is this all gyms? Is it a particular kind of gym? Or is there a particular group of gym go-ers that you can focus on? And are you saying that the use of substance is a problem for all gym goers and not just those using?