Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - HD40 | Spring 2022

Brainstorming Discourse Communities and Research

One issue that I did not mention earlier in my comment about the car community, that I just researched about was the affordability of a car in today’s market. Many dealerships now a days are adding a markup fee on pretty much all cars and charging consumers way  over the amount of money that they should have to pay. Now this is not entirely their fault because cars right now are in high demand and there is a shortage of motor vehicles being produced.  This is  not the only complication because studies are showing  that the cost of purchasing, financing, and operating an automobile varies depending on race or ethnicity. This can dramatically increase the cost to finance a car, as well as the actual price of the car itself, and insurance rates. This is a big issue because for many people in the United States, an automobile allows not just physical but also economic mobility.

Anyone who is looking to purchase a car any time soon should be well aware of this problem within the car market. I also believe that informing my audience about these useless price mark ups, will persuade them to understand this issue and be aware in the future when purchasing a car because no one wants to pay extra money for something that is worth less. I want to make sure I can inform as many people as I can because I want everyone to save money and not get scammed by dealerships for more money. However, not all hope is lost because many groups of individuals have already started signing petitions to ban dealer interest rate markups, so consumers can save money. Another petition that has been brought to light recently is in regards to amend the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA). This would restrict race and ethnicity data from being collected and analyzed for vehicle loan transactions. That way it would be fair for all citizens to get the same rates  when purchasing a car.

1. Ruth Garcia

So your discourse community is those in the market for a car at this moment? Are you thinking of a particular age group?
    And then your problem is the cost of cars? And are you saying that this is a problem that goes beyond people not being able to afford a car?