Prof. Garcia | ENG 1121 - HD18 | Spring 2022

Brainstorming Discourse Communities and Research

The Discourse community I decided to talk about is Feminist Collages New York, a group of young activists who have set out to educate New Yorkers about gender violence and the oppression of patriarchy. There are many negative reasons why young women and adult women are joining this community that supports feminism. For example rapes, domestic violence, murders, sexual harassment, emotional abuse, and gender discrimination against women. As a woman, I have personally experienced some of these situations, and I have seen and heard many more. Every day, there is more violence against women, and we want to see improvements with this movement because we are all equal, we deserve respect, and we should never walk in fear.

Access to abortion has been a controversial topic in feminist circles. The majority of people are in favor, while the rest are opposed. It is a delicate topic since it concerns a life; the reasons for opposition are that it concerns the life of an innocent person who is not to blame for anything, and abortion is considered murder. It is in favor of the possibility that it is the result of a rape, or that it is the result of a high-risk disease, or that it is the result of their economic position, which prevents them from being properly raised.

1. Ruth Garcia

This group is definitely a discourse community. Are you part of the group? I ask because you need to pick a discourse community that you are part of.
    Then, if this is a group you are part of, you need to narrow down to a specific issue you want to discuss. Is access to abortion the issue you want to focus on? If so, can you say a bit more about who this issue affects and how?