Prof. Garcia | ENG1101-HD80 | Fall 2022

Research Question

How was the Stonewall Uprising significant to the LGBTQ+ community?

In history/everyday media mentions of was LGBTQ+/homosexuality is rare to none. It’s not mentioned as much to a point, those who aren’t part of it, go against it in many ways whether it’s homophobia or ignorance. There’s those who think the LGBTQ+ are annoying or entitled for showing it off when in reality, they still don’t have as much rights, support, and respect compared to those who aren’t part of the community currently, although it wasn’t as bad as the 60’s. I’m interested in the Stonewall Uprising because that was the start of the LGBTQ+ fighting for their rights in the start of 1969. At that time, it was illegal to be homosexual which made it risky for them to be themselves peacefully or to have fun without the police rioting their hangouts. Towards the end of June, police were raiding the gay bars at night per usual, taking away the illegal alcohol and hoping to shut down the bar until June 28, 1969. That was the night when the gays from the bar fought back and trying to resist arrest which goes to show that they’re fighting for their rights since them being gay and hanging in Stonewall Inn (the bar) shouldn’t be a problem. So overall, how was the Stonewall Uprising significant to the LGBTQ+ community ? I’m going to research what happened after the Stonewall Uprising and how it led to other movements/protests and how it affected New York and the rest of the world. From this, I expect to learn more about the other gay movements/organizations.

1. Ruth Garcia

I might use one of the questions at the end of your paragraph to focus and narrow down your topic. You could ask– How did the Stonewall Uprising impact/shape the LQBTQ+ movement?

You might also look at one of the many issues around the LQBTQ+ community right now. For example, I believe that with the conservative slant to the Supreme Court at the moment, there are several cases coming up that can impact the ground gained by the LQBTQ+ community.