I am M. Gong. After I do a survey to my community, Brighton Beach, it surprises me because some of the conditions I did not expect attracts my attention. It is strange to see that majority of people are elderly on the street and unemployed rate is high. The housing condition and living environment are poor if comparing the communities that next to it. However, the transportation such as trains and buses are easy to be taken. The community has developed variously. People can communicate in other language such as Russian instead of English. The government provides public service such as Russian instead of English. The government provides public service such as safety, health and education adequately. In fact, the ratio of population of aging people on Brighton Beach community (11235) is high than the average of the United States and the average of family income is low than the nation’s. Even though most the people belong to low class, the crime ration has decreased gradually these years. A big number of aging people increases the health burden of the local government, but it creates more job opportunities for local residents. Without doubt, the cultural and racial diversity will be more serve when more immigrants move into the community. And more local residents will move out the community which is possible to raise the rent and improve the housing condition and living improvement. More people only know foreign language rather than English and keep their tradition in the community; it causes many problems when these people get the health service. It is better for public health facilities in this region to hire more nurses who know their languages in order to avoid making problems of communication. Meanwhile, hospitals and clinical should provide more opportunities for nurses to teach patients some common hygiene. If elderly or children know how to protect themselves, it is effective to decrease the burden of health of government. After observing the neighborhood, there are many advanced public service are found in the community, it is still valuable for me to live here.
Michelle Gellar, RN, MSN, MPH
NYC College of Technology
Nursing Department, Pearl 505
300 Jay Street
- How Lifelong Cholesterol Levels Can Harm or Help Your Heart October 21, 2021
- F.D.A. to Allow ‘Mix and Match’ Approach for Covid Booster Shots October 21, 2021
- C.D.C. Panel to Debate Boosters and 'Mix-and-Match' Strategy October 21, 2021
- Why Is Good Medical Advice for Pregnant Women So Hard to Find? October 21, 2021
- Nadia Chaudhri, Scientist With an End-of-Life Mission, Dies at 43 October 21, 2021
- F.D.A. Panel Unanimously Recommends Johnson & Johnson Booster Shots October 21, 2021
- Pain Doctor Accused of Sexually Assaulting Patients Faces New Federal Charges October 20, 2021
- Biden’s Plan to Vaccinate Young Children 5 to 11 October 20, 2021
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.