Prof. Jody R. Rosen | LH10 | Fall 2022

Brainstorming for Project #1

To help you get started writing your education narrative, I’ve shared brainstorming questions you can respond to. Read these questions in the Project #1 instructions. Choose three to answer here in a comment, approximately one paragraph each. This kind of writing is what’s considered pre-writing–it’s not necessarily the writing that ends up in your finished work, but it helps you get your ideas together and can spark some really great thinking. Some of the answers may end up in your finished work, but most won’t. Remember, your education narrative won’t be a series of answers to the brainstorming questions. Also, the earlier you post these, the sooner you’ll get feedback for your draft.

You started this work in class on Tuesday, so feel free to include what you wrote then, but do push yourself to write answers to three questions in addition to what you wrote in class.

Please remember that our site is open to the public, so don’t share anything that you aren’t comfortable sharing in public. If this is a problem, please reach out and we’ll figure out a solution.

1. mdiego

• What is a moment, a person, or experience that led you to choose your major? or that has led you to any other choice you have made regarding your education?

A person that led me to choose my major was my dentist. This person led me to choosing this major because whenever I go to the dentist, my day could be going bad but because the dentist has practice in communication and knows how to make my day better just by asking “how’s it going”. Or it could be going good but they still manage to make it great. This is how I decided to impact people’s lives in a positive way. I want to be able to make someone day better by letting them know I am here to listen while encouraging their confidence to smile more.

• Jody R. Rosen

Great that you’re thinking about how someone in your life inspired you to choose your major. Is this an experience you write about in your education narrative? It would be great to build on this to develop your draft of Project 1. Let’s talk to help you get to the next step of your draft.

2. Riasat Ahmed

From a very young age, I was always a lover of business and all things business. Buying selling, profit margins, making connections. Consequently, I chose to major in Computer Systems. Now you might be thinking, if you love business so much why not major in business? But youre not thinking about the bigger picture. In a day and age where the world revolves around technology and online companies like Meta, Apple, and Amazon, the key to being successful in a business setting was learning the ins and outs of information technology.

• Jody R. Rosen

RIasat, that’s an interesting image you’re creating–yourself as a child interested in the more adult field of business. If I made an Alex P. Keaton reference, would that make sense to you? If not, Google it!

Who are some of your role models? How did you get information about business to know that it was something you were interested in?

Another way to think about the topic you’re interested in writing about: why major in Computer Systems with an interest in business instead of a business major with lots of tech skills? I’m sure you weighed those options–what did you consider, and how did you decide?

Is there anything that we read that you felt challenged how you think about your education/major/career plans, or that bolstered your views?

Good luck! Let me know if you want to brainstorm together.