Beginning of Class Writing: Introductions

During the ten minutes set aside for our beginning of class writing today, write a memo introducing yourself to your professor. In your introduction, tell me about yourself and include this information at a minimum: your major, the career you seek, your other interests (clubs, hobbies, activities, etc.), and what you want to get out of our class.

First, I would like you to type your work in Google Docs, which we will make sure everyone has access to before beginning the assignment. Also, you will be posting a copy of your work here on OpenLab, so we will spend a few minutes making sure everyone in the class has joined.

Second, how should a memo generally look? It should have a heading block at the top that includes separate lines for TO, FROM, DATE, SUBJECT. Beneath the heading block, you write your message. You can find an example here: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/590/04/

Finally, copy what you wrote on Google Docs and paste it into a comment to this blog post and click post comment. After you have commented, you should refresh the page to make sure that your comment posted correctly.

18 thoughts on “Beginning of Class Writing: Introductions

1. reazul20

TO: Prof. Ellis
    FROM: Reazul Hassan
    DATE: 9/2/2015
    SUBJECT: Introduction

My name is Reazul Hassan and my current city of residence is Woodside, New York. I am a student of New York City College of Technology. My major is Biomedical Informatics. The career that i see is to work as a researcher in pharmaceutical companies in drug development and preventative care. The things i like doing on my spare time is playing basketball, video games and hanging out with my friends. Im not sure what to expect from this class, but I want an “A” grade in this class.

2. George Gordon

TO: Jason W. Ellis

FROM: George Gordon

DATE: September 2nd, 2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

Hello there, my name is George Gordon. I am currently majoring in Professional and technical writing as I have liked writing since I was rather young. I want to be an author at some point, most likely writing fiction or on a magazine, preferably one that is related with video games. However, I also want to run a gaming website where I can post reviews for games and news within that medium. Outside of class, I spend my time writing for myself, going out with friends and playing games, since I don’t have job at this time. I’ve never had a job within the writing field either, I’ve only worked in construction. What do I expect from this class? Well, to improve my writing first of all. Learning all the different types of writing and ways of communicating through writing. I would like to be able to get significant knowledge I’d be able to take with me outside of college and into the real world. Plus, you said we would be doing some work that would revolve around using old computers/tech, which sounds very interesting.

3. tbissoondial

TO: Professor Ellis
    FROM: Tajram Bissoondial
    DATE: September 2, 2015
    SUBJECT: Introducing Myself

My name is Tajram Bissoondial. I live in Jamaica, Queens. I major in biomedical informatics at city tech. My hobbies are going to the gym and playing basketball. What i want to get out of this class is learn how to separate myself from the pool of people applying to a specific job to get the best chance to get the job. As well is create a well developed resume and learn how to write specific cover letters to companies regarding an open position.

4. simone216

To: Dr. J Ellis

From : Anika Simone Aarons

Date: September 02,2015

Subject: Introducing Me!

My name is Anika Aarons, and I am twenty-five years old. I work full time and attend City Tech part time. My major here at City Tech is BioMedical Informatics, my goal is to pursue a career as a lab analyst in the future. I grew up and still live in Brooklyn , New York. In my spare time I enjoy going to the movies, and hanging out with my friends. I haven’t taken an english/writing course in a long time , so I hope to brush up and improve my writing skills for the better while taking this class this semester.

5. Yamilex De La Rosa

TO: Dr. Jason W. Ellis

FROM: Yamilex De La Rosa

DATE: September 2, 2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

My name is Yamilex De La Rosa, my major is marketing and advertising. I seek to become a net-a-porter headquarter, fashion blogger, and to be involved in the fashion world. I love to read fashion magazines and books on romance, heartbreaks, and mysteries. I also like to try new activities and foods. I would like to become a better writer/speaker and to be able to create well enough job applications. By taking this class I would like to be prepared for my career and to become a better writer overall.

6. Naveeda Akhtar

TO: Dr. Jason W. Ellis

FROM: Naveeda Akhtar

DATE: September 2, 2015

SUBJECT: Introductions

My major currently is Professional and Technical Writing but I am looking to change it next semester to Nursing since that is where my passion lies. The career that I seek is Nursing because I believe that it would be beneficial to help others and to make a difference in the world. I want to make lifelong impressions and help individuals stay healthy and safe. My interests include reading books, and writing short stories and poems in my spare time. I also enjoy going to the movies, as well as going shopping with my friends. The main thing I would like to get out of this class is some knowledge that can help me in the professional and business world. I would like to know how to write professional documents that can help me to pursue my career in Nursing the future. I also would like to enhance my writing abilities since I believe that there is always room for growth and improvement. Last but not least, I would like to become a better communicator so that wherever I go, and whoever I speak to, I will always be able to get my point across efficiently and professionally.

7. ThaerT

To: Jason W. Ellis, Professor of Eng 1133

From: Thaer Tayeh

Date: September 02, 2015

Subject: Introductions

Hello professor, my name is Thaer Tayeh, student of your Eng 1133 specialized communication class. I am continuing my education at citytech after a 3 year break in order to gain a bachelors degree in professional and technical writing. I was looking through citytech courses and this is the one that stood out to me. I started to do research on technical writing and it seemed like a career goal I would be interested in pursuing. My passion is in writing, i’m constantly working on short stories, poems, comics with a few close friends. Seeing as how we are moving forward in the digital age, I saw courses in professional and technical writing as a great opportunity to learn how language and technology can work hand and hand as well as hone my writing skills and learn to articulate my words and organize them more professionally.

8. Arielle Myers

TO: Dr. Ellis

FROM: Arielle I. Myers

DATE: September 2, 2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

My name is Arielle Ilana Myers. This is my second major at CityTech, and I am now majoring in Professional & Technical Writing as a Junior. I had always dreamed of a career in the legal field, specifically Entertainment Law, and while taking classes to pursue that goal I came to the realization of something I had always known- I love to write. In my law classes, writing efficiently was essential to passing. I have also always been interested in Journalism, and while taking Introduction to Journalism I was informed about a “new” major being offered, and I jumped at the opportunity for a career in writing. I hope to learn from this class how to effectively, and succinctly, communicate to many different audiences correctly. With writing comes a love of reading, at least for me. I am a huge fan of Caleb Carr and Luc Sante, and an avid lover of the Lower East Side of New York (it’s history, landmarks, location, people, everything!) I volunteer at a Harm Reduction Center in that area, and hope I help many friends and clients of that facility with the disease of addiction.

9. Noureen Hanif

TO: Dr. Jason W. Ellis

FROM: Noureen Hanif

DATE: September 2, 2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

My name is Noureen Hanif and my major is Professional Technical Writing and this is my first semester into this major. I love to read and write all sorts of things, blogs or zines but am very limitedly interested into science of politics. My hobbies would include painting, drawing or writing being a zine on my own or frankly I record Journals of mostly all sorts or that go about my way.

I’d like to learn out of this class, more importantly a personal special communication skill, because as I have realized in my lack of potential is that my communication skills are limited and the more I learn of communication the more I can stabilize myself into that characteristic of myself.

10. valentina

TO: Dr. Jason Ellis

FROM: Valentina Pineda

DATE: September 2, 2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

My name is Valentina Pineda and I am 21 years old. I am currently a senior in the Biomedical Informatics Bachelor’s program here at City Tech. Currently I am part of the Biomedical Informatics club, in which I get to meet other peers with the same interests as me and also there is some tutoring available to us on upper major classes. Career wise I am expecting to graduate in the fall of 2016. I plan on also taking the MCAT exam during my last semester here and hopefully go to medical school to become a pediatric surgeon. I love science and I enjoy doing research in the lab and learning from other talented professors here at City Tech. On my personal time I love to just relax and spend time with my family. I also enjoy taking my dog on long walks and exercising at prospect park.
    From taking this class I expect to learn many things that could be useful to me in communicating when it is time to join the workforce. I think that I need to improve my professional writing and speech communication skills, so this is what I would like to improve during this semester.

11. Tracy Xu

TO: Professor Ellis

FROM: Tracy Xu

DATE: 9/2/2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

Greetings, Professor. My name is Tracy Xu. I live in Manhattan with my parents and sister who also attends college. My major when I entered City Tech was Communication Design but now I am pursuing Accounting. I am hoping to get a job as an accountant or an entrepreneur. My interests include music, comedy TV shows, baking, photoshop, and origami. By the end of the course I want to be able to write a professional resume when I seek my dream job and overall improve my skills in writing and communication.

12. Christopher Navarrete

TO: Jason W. Ellis

FROM: Christopher Navarrete

DATE: September 7, 2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

Hello Professor Ellis, my name is Christopher Navarrete. This semester is the first in where I am taking professional and technical writing as a major. I had changed it from computer science because I realized how much I enjoy writing due to my time in previous English courses. I am uncertain about what career I could take, but I believe I will have more of an idea by the end of this semester. In my time off, I enjoy going to the movies, playing video games, and examining and studying common tropes across entertainment mediums. One of the main things that I wish to learn from this class is how to communicate to different audiences as It’s something I haven’t learned before.

13. JesseCortes

To: Jason W. Ellis
    From: Jesse Cortes
    Date: September 8, 2015
    Subject: Introduction

Hello professor my name is Jesse Cortes, I am majoring in Electro-mechanical engineering technology. I chose to pursue this major because I like working with my hands and was interested on how computers and other electrical devices function, I hope in the future I become a successful engineer. I have a huge passion for soccer, in my free time I go play with friends and family, play video games and watch movies. My writing skills is not at the level where I want it to be, i hope this class will improve my writing and communications skills.

14. Albert H

TO: Jason W. Ellis

FROM: Albert Hemmings

DATE: September 2, 2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

My name is Albert Hemmings, I attend the New York City College of Technology, with a major in mechanical engineering. I chose this major because I want to one day help build bridges and contribute to some of New York City’s skyline. In my free time I like to watch and play sports, my favorite being football. When this class is over I want to be able to say that I learned unique skills that will help me to get a job in my field.

15. Ryan

TO:Dr Jason Ellis

FROM: Ryan Doherty

DATE:09/02/2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

Good afternoon, I am Ryan Doherty. My Major is Construction Technology and the career that I am pursuing is Civil Engineering. I chose this path because I have an interest building and the construction process. My interests also lie in reading, anime, and comic books. I hope that course will help me with my communication skills so I can move forward in my career. Additionally I would like to improve my job application portfolio with what i learn from this class

16. Robert Smith

TO: Prof. J. Ellis

FROM: Robert Smith

DATE: 09/02/15

SUBJECT: Introductions

My name is Robert Smith. I am 21 born on August 26, 1994. I am currently attending NYCCT to obtain a degree in Computer Engineering Technology. What I seek to obtain by going here and getting my degree is to get a career in IT or computer engineering. My interests are listening to music, playing games, building and fixing computers, and watching TV. I honestly expect to get nothing out of this class and I have no idea what I would be getting out if it, besides hopefully passing it and becoming another step closer to getting my degree.

17. Yulduz Saidinova

TO: Dr. Jason W. Ellis

FROM: Yulduz Saidinova

DATE: September 2, 2015

SUBJECT: Introduction

Hello Dr. Ellis, my name is Yulduz Saidinova. I am lower senior in NYCCT. I have been in this country about 8 years now. I have changed my major few times and at the end i chose Biomedical Informatics major. After finishing this major I want to apply for Medical school. I really love this medical field. I do not really sure about my future major quite yet. It is going to be either doctor or major in microbiology which is dealing with viruses and bacterias. My other interests are reading books, novels and also watching shows about medical topics. From this course i want to learn more about writing professional resumes and also any type of professional documents. Also I want to improve my skills on different type of communication and technology.

18. Natasha95

To: Dr. J Ellis

From:Narayani Natasha Armstrong

Date: September 02, 2015

Subject: Introduction to Myself

Hello my name is Narayani Natasha Armstrong, I am a sophomore at City Tech. I am currently majoring in Biomedical Informatics, I am trying to get through with this degree so I can pursue in working in a lab base area while still focusing in the technology area. The hobbies that I do within my free time, will be running track, and helping high school student get through peer pressure. When I registered for this class I actually wanted to be able to improve my writing skills as a student, being able to use the form of technology and english writing to make a different outcome, rather than just seeing english as essays and reading a book.