During the two months so far at my internship with Student Government Association I have learned a great deal. Not only did I learn how to do task for myself at my internship, but also being able to have life lessons that will stick with me. Some of the things I learned are:

• Adapting to the environment and flow of the job

• Time managing my internship with my other responsibilities

• Taking a breather 

adapt

Adapting to the environment and flow of the job – What I normally do when starting a new job is being observant to how people act, and the work flow of the job itself. What I have learned is that you have to become a part of the machine. If you cannot adapt to how things work at you job/internship you might not last long or have another opportunity with that company. You have to be needed for the functionality of the company.

top-dumb-cartoon-characters

Time managing my internship with my other responsibilities – Like most people that are taking this class/ internship, we have other responsibilities and task that will take up our time. I for one constantly find my mind wandering too many places at once and I can forget things sometime. Having a planner or a calendar to physically write tasks at least for me, has been a crucial part of time managing and staying on top of my daily tasks and future tasks. This semester I chose to be involved with way to many things at once, but that’s what I chose.

I have four classes I am taking, Internship, Senior Project, Portfolio, and Intro to Game DesignI am a member of Phi Sigma Chi Multicultural Fraternity Inc. so happen to be the Alpha Chapter President this semester. I have another job at H&M as a Sales advisor. As you already know I’m an intern at the Student Government Association at City Tech. These are the organizations and task that take up my time, still not including time that has to be put aside for my personal life ( Social and Family).  I’m still not on top of varying as of yet but every day I’m improving with managing my time to stay on top everything. After all I am trying to graduate, make money, and pay off this tuition.

images

Taking a breather – This is probably the most import an thing I have learned in life. Sometimes you really do need to take a little break to collect your thoughts. This can be a coffee break, looking out the window or taking a walk to enjoy outside. Part of working has a lot to do with getting obstacles and powering through it. Being a college student I’m broke half the time, my computer went bad so I cannot work from home, and work takes up the little free time I have. Taking a breather puts everything into perspective so that I wouldn’t get a headache or feel over whelmed. This way I have a better view of how to work my task out daily which goes back to the time management.

At my internship, my job revolves around my major which is great because I can get the experience I need  for my future jobs when I’m finished with college. My Typical day at SGA is me coming in the office when I don’t have class, getting the tasks done or at least started for the day, managing their social media, and planning for the next day. After that is done or I get some free time I will take a quick break, eat, get coffee, or use the restroom. Once I return to my desk if I don’t have anything I need to do for my internship at the moment I will work on my task/ projects for my classes or my fraternity.