Journal Blog 4: First Task

© Designed by @pikisuperstar on Freepik

My first task is to do general research based on Amazon Smile and Omaze. As I was doing more research, I noticed that Amazon Smile is going to shut down on Feb 20th (already shut). The program launched back in 2013 and has donated 377 million to charities in less than 1 decade, which to me is pretty insane. I wonder what will happen to the charities that are linked to amazon smile.

During my research, I notice that Amazon smile also said their “program has not grown to create the social impact we originally hoped”. So I’m guessing this is the reason why they closed down. They also said they will continue to invest in areas where it creates some sort of meaningful changes. They will be helping communities that are impacted by natural disasters, building affordable housing providing computer science education for students..etc.

Omaze is kinda similar to Amazon Smile. They also raise money for charity by giving people the opportunity to win life-changing prizes. They have prizes such as material goods, property, celebrity experiences..etc.

Date: 2/15 – 2/17/2023