Ethics in Graphic Design Entry 2

© Designed by @storyset on Freepik

2A) As a designer, I often find most of my inspiration through Pinterest, youtube, websites, Instagram..etc. As stated in, Use of Illustrations, it says “Illustrations should not be used without gaining permission from the creator”. This is a great example to demonstrate the importance of giving credit when using artwork/illustrations that is not yours. Oftentimes, whether or not it’s now or in the past, I do find most images online. I do use them in a way but I have never actually gotten to credit the original owner. This is because, in the real world, there are many duplicates of the same illustrations, images, and art that people post online, and at the end of the day, it can be difficult to find the original owner. However, when I find images directly online from the original owner’s page, I do give credit because it’s a way of respecting them in a way.

2B) As I was reading this article called Shepard Fairey Is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case, I wasn’t that surprised. Using images without giving credit for work purposes does lead to many consequences. In my opinion, if someone were to pictures from others WITHOUT giving credit or claiming the image is theirs then they should face some consequences. In the article, Shepard Fairey Is Fined and Sentenced to Probation in ‘Hope’ Poster Case, it says, “Mr. Fairey maintained that he had never personally profited from sales of the image, a contention The A.P. disputed”. If he were to get profit from using those images then it won’t be as easy as it is.

Resources