Developed by First Year Programs

Reflection #1 (7/29)

What do you want your classmates to know about you?

What are your goals (or fears) in starting college?

Why did you choose CityTech?

What do you hope to achieve in your first term?

• Comment on at least two of your classmates’ responses & welcome them!

1. Samiya S.

Goals are being able to get tutoring/help when I need because I have trouble with that. City Tech had great financial options for me. I hope to stay on task with all my assignments

• Carolyn McGown

THe largest part of being successful in college is keeping ahead of things. Plan your time well – including time for FUN – and then stick to your plan. Don’t let yourself fall behind.

Don’t think about it as four hard months, think of it as one week at a time. Each week, you’ve got some classes to attend, some work to do, that’s it. Each successful week brings you close to the end of the term.

• Talisha Rahman

Its great to see you set that goal for yourself, definitely take advantage of all the services City Tech provides (Learning Center, Tutoring, Office Hours, etc)

2. Pat Devitt

1. I want my classmates to know I’m very outgoing but also somewhat shy.
    2. My goal is to do well on all assignments and get my degree.
    3. I chose City Tech because they offer the specific my future career wants for education.
    4. I’d like to have an easy transition this first term.
    • Carolyn McGown

Your attitude – your willingness to smile and participate – is going to carry you far. This may sound like silliness, but it’s not. Students who keep positive, engage with others, smile easily – these folks tend to do well. Even when things fall apart (as they will), people who are perkier tend to bouce back better.

• Talisha Rahman

It sounds great how you chose City Tech because it aligns with your future career goals. It’s so important to be in a place that supports your aspirations.

3. Laurel Bay

What do you want your classmates to know about you? My major is Construction Management Tech

What are your goals (or fears) in starting college? My goals are to keep a good GPE and my fears are just normal average student worries because we all know it’s gonna be a lot of study

Why did you choose CityTech? I choose CUNY and CityTech had the major of my interest

What do you hope to achieve in your first term? To get familiar with student life in the US and at CUNY/CityTech

• Carolyn McGown

You add a different perspective to classes – and this will be good (even if it may feel odd at first). You’re likely to be ther oldest person in class – and some 19-20 year olds dismiss folks over 30. But once they see how much you have to offer, they will embrace you.

I think it’s terrific that your major is construction management.

• Laurel Bay

Thanks, though it doesn’t feel odd. I didn’t feel ‘unembraced’ at any point (if that’s a word).

• Carolyn McGown

I am glad you’ve felt embraced in this class. That is always one of my goals – to try to make sure everyone feels a part of the group and enjoys their time in class.

I do feel that this group is an especially good one. I feel pretty lucky to have had all of you on my roster!

4. Andre

•I like basketball

•My goal is to not even get close to falling behind

•I heard a lot of good things from it and I know some of people going here too it has a good computer science

•Consistency

• Carolyn McGown

You’ve mentioned two important things “not falling behind” and “consistency.” I may say it in different words, but these are probably the two most important things tyou can do this term. I am glad you see it.

And you KNOW what you HAVE to do for both of those, right? BE ON TIME.

5. Alexis Cordoba

I don’t like school

Burnout

Why did you choose CityTech?

Its has the major I’m looking for and its not too far from home.

Create and stick to a schedule that doesn’t drive me crazy.

• Carolyn McGown

You say you don’t like school. The only way that this is possible – is that you have haad too many not-great teachers. And that is a shame.

I can’t promise that all your teachers at CT will be great, but there are a lot of fun teachers. You will get classes with them, and that will CHANGE your views about school.

As the term starts, look for clubs and groups that interest you. Meetign with other students who have shared interests can help you fit in and enjoy yourself.

6. Sandupa Sanudaya

I’m Sandupa. I am majoring in Mechanical Engineering technology. I like space, aviation and aircraft related things. My goal for this semester is to just figure out what to do and pass my classes.

• Carolyn McGown

“Just figure it out and pass” – I get that.

But you know you’re fairly smart, so you can do more than pass.

The SINGLE biggest thing you can do is commit to come to EVERY class, on-time, and to get your work done.

7. Justin Nuñez

I would like to know their likes and dislikes

My goal is to have a good first year and college and my fear is not being able to meet new friends

Why did you choose CityTech?

CityTech has been the most consistent replying back to me so I picked it

I hope to get a B+ and get used to the college life

• Carolyn McGown

Very specific that B+. Hmmm . . . . Not thinking about any As? I think you have the ability.

I am not saying it has to be all As, but if you work hard – and consistently – higher grades are possible.

8. FnuAnchita

Hello,

I am Anchita and my major is computer systems Btech. Something that I want my classmates to know about me is that I am very fond of Astronomy, Computers and Mathematics. My goal in college is to get all my credit smooth and excellent grades, engage with professors, and make many friends. I choose Citytech because it provides a great opportunity relating to my major. Something that I hope to achieve in my first year is that I could learn more about my field and find a good friend group.

• Carolyn McGown

First term goals: learning more about your (intended) major and finding a frined group. Perfect!

I like reading this kind of goal. It’s looking forward, but it isn’t too huge. But it is REALLY important. Developing a group of people with shared interests and goals – this may be the most important thing you do your first term. These are the people who will push you – and who you will push.

9. Kasim Anderson (Kai)

What I would to like my classmates to know is that I have A lot of life experience to offer if you need any advice on anything. I have did things from working on a submarine to living in different states in the U.S. on my own.

My goals in starting college is to really get my life started and to actually pursue my interest in chemistry.

I hope to get familiar with city tech in my first term, meet new people with different walks of life, actually learn from my classes, and actually do well in my classes.

I chose city tech for their chemical technology major.

• Anchita

Hi Kasim, I might need a lot of your life-long advice. I hope you do great in all your classes and major.

10. Ricky Varela

I am not much of a talker. I chose CityTech because it is slightly closer than the other college I was accepted to.

• Carolyn McGown

I’ve often found that the students who don’t want to speak aloud – or say they don’t have much to say – generally have deep and compelling thoughts.

My one recommendation is to try to face up – and push against – your disinclination about speaking up. Not everyday, and not every class, but TRY to rqaise your hand now and then and join the conversation. It will positively impact your grade. Plus, you may find that it’s more fun that you now believe.

11. Krittika Sharma

I’m Krittika and hoping to have a great college life. I chose City tech because of it’s expanded expertise of involving students with technologies and also for my interest towards technology. I hope to meet new friends, nice professors and also concentrate on my studies during the first semester.

• Carolyn McGown

You’ve got realistic and solid goals for your first term – meeting new people, finding some good teachers, studying. How succesful you will be if you do those three things!

• Anchita

Same Krittika, I also hope to find good Professors because they can be just so helpful. I hope you have great collage life.

12. Nilkiaris Arjona (Kiki)

i would like my classmates to know that i’m a baker and i sell treats

my goals is to create better connections with my classmates

i hope to achieve good learning skills and talking to people

i chose city tech because it’s close to home and i’m passionate about baking and cooking

-kiki

• Carolyn McGown

Baked treats? Yum! I love baking for others too.

Making connections with your classmates and colleagues is a big help in being successful. When you connect with people who have similar goals and interests, it just pushes you. As human beings, we like working among others (even if we don’t like group projects).

• Carolyn McGown

I sense that you’re a pretty good connector. YOu are comfortable speaking up – and you do so in a way that isn’t showy or pushy. I always love having students who participate like you do in my classes. It brings up the energy, and it can help encourage others to speak too.

Chemistry is hard.

13. Genesis Garcia

One thing you guys should know about me is that i like fashion.

The fear of starting college is not being able to face everything.

I hope everything goes well in my first term.

The reason I chose City Tech was because it was the closest school, so I wouldn’t go far.

• Carolyn McGown

Everything will not go well the first term. It simply won’t.

But a lot of things WILL go well. And it will be your job to RECOGNIZE this. When one thing goes to crap, but something else works well, you need to focus first on the good. Congratualte yourself; know that the good thing happened only becuase you put in real effort. THEN go back and look at the thing that didn’t go well. Ask yourself – What could I do differently? Is there someone who could help me? What do I need to do better?

Being successful this term – and these next few years – will mean highs AND lows. Know that NOW, accept it, know that its normal (everyone goes through it), and that you have the ability to stick it out and do well.

• Laurel Bay

At the end, it can all go well. You can go far:) but avoid a long commute

14. Minerva Guerrero

I choose city tech because I think is the best place to learn the major I choose. One of my goals is to graduate with a good grade and become a great professional. In my first term I hope to learn a lot of things and develop new skills.

• Carolyn McGown

Your attitude is likely to carry you pretty far. It’s not just a matter of wanting something. Being successful means that you are committed to working hard, even when things aren’t going well. You seem to have a chill, positive attitude. Try to keep a hold of that as the term begins.