Developed by First Year Programs

Reflection #3 (7/31)

Reflection #3

Think about a time when you joined a new group activity (maybe a team, religious retreat, club, or workplace). 

How did you feel when you first joined? 

Do you recall a moment when you felt like you were part of the group? 

What benefits did you get from participation in the group?

What can you do to help yourself feel like part of a group at City Tech? 

1. Genesis Garcia

When I joined this sport team I felt excited because I was experiencing something new.

I remember a time when we had to discuss something as a group and everyone had to say their own opinion.

One benefit was that I was able to experience a new sport and be able to realize that I didn’t really like it, but I try something new. 

Something I could do to feel part of a group at City Tech is to try to be more open and talk a little more instead of going my own way.

• Talisha Rahman

Sounds like you are doing a great job by being open to new experiences and learning from them!

• Samiya S.

totally agree with the last one

• Nilkiaris Arjona (Kiki)

that happens a lot but atleast you realize what you can devote your time to and with something you’ll enjoy more

• Andre

That’s good you can never go wrong with trying something new

• Alexis Cordoba

I like how you made a reflection and were self-aware on what you can do to improve connecting with others. I also agree that when we get to share our own opinions, it helps me too to feel like im being heard and accepted.

• Krittika

I feel like being open and trying out new things is the only way you can find out what you like

2. Krittika Sharma

Last summer, I joined a leadership program where the students were taught public speaking. At first, I felt very underconfident and nervous but later on, I found out everyone from the team was lacking in different ways. We all were trained together to speak up confidently in front of the microphone. The thing that worked for all of us was the desire to learn, take in and also help each other out in every step. Although I still can’t speak on a stage without getting nervous, but it’s a little better than before. So as student al City tech I would try to keep myself open to every situation and every learning so that I can take in as much as possible from my surroundings.

• Kasim Anderson (Kai)

Public speaking is one of the most common group activities that can cause the most self doubt. You acknowledged that everyone wasn’t perfect and adapted and overcome your nervousness. You pushed through out of your comfort zones with one common interest, you did absolutely amazing be proud.

• Genesis Garcia

The good thing was that you tried and made an effort even though you didn’t feel comfortable.

• Talisha Rahman

It seems like your willingness to embrace every situation and learning opportunity will serve you well. Keep up the good work!

3. Kasim Anderson (Kai)

My neighborhood veteran center teamed up with the recruiting centers in Brooklyn to help enlist people. I volunteered and joined the group and when I joined I was happy to help people be informed and get the best out of their contract.

At first there was a disconnect due to age since most veterans were aged 35 and up and I was 19. But as we all shared our stories with the new youth coming in trying to enlist we started to bond and connect among ourselves.

One benefit I got from participating was meeting new people among the staff and the new recruits coming in. I also got to network with different people in different fields of work. Lastly I benefited with knowing the fact I got to help new recruits get extra incentives, better jobs inside the branches they chose and help them prepare for the asvab, pre ship out readiness and how to navigate outside of bootcamp.

I feel like if I wanna feel like apart of a group in city tech I just have to just be my authentic self around others. Be open to different people and take the initiative to talk to people.

• Genesis Garcia

That was a great opportunity because you were able to meet new people and create new relationships.

• Talisha Rahman

It sounds great how you were able to network and help new recruits get the best out of their contracts. That must have been very fulfilling.

• Samiya S.

Oh wow thats awesome, glad you got to experience that

• Nilkiaris Arjona (Kiki)

it’s always good to connect with people who are a little different than you

4. Ricky Varela

I have never joined a group activity.

• Laurel Bay

A First Time for Everything:)

• Samiya S.

good things theres lots here!

• Kasim Anderson (Kai)

You will def get the opportunity to experience this at city tech

• Anchita

I like that as well, I never joined, but I genuinely promise myself that I want to join clubs and activity throughout the year or even till the semester.

• Krittika

Everything has a first time and you will get a lot of chance in college.

• Krittika

Everything has a first time and you will get a lot of chance in future

5. Laurel Bay

I remember joining a gym for the first time, which evoked a mix of excitement and apprehension. I felt quite helpless initially, but I didn’t want to give up. Following a German saying, ‘Augen zu und durch!’ – meaning just go through it with eyes closed – I persevered. I sought help, observed others working out, joined in, and eventually, it all worked out well.

• Talisha Rahman

Your determination and positive attitude will help you succeed in any new group you join, including at City Tech. Keep up the good work!

• Samiya S.

good on you for persevering

• Nilkiaris Arjona (Kiki)

it’s good to have the mentally to never give up and to keep moving forward

6. Samiya S.

I joined my schools Muslim student association, I felt really content with what I saw, because I was glad to meet people who looked and believed in the same things I did. I felt a part of the group when we were just casually chatting, it made me feel like I belonged somewhere. I made lasting connections. I think one thing I can do is just reach out to people first and join clubs with my interests

• Nilkiaris Arjona (Kiki)

it’s nice to find people who have the same beliefs as you because that way you are all the same and won’t feel too left out 🙂

• Talisha Rahman

It sounds great how casual conversations helped you feel like you belonged. Making lasting connections is a wonderful benefit.

7. Minerva Guerrero

A while ago I joined a Taekwondo team and I felt very excited because it was a knew experience and a sport that I liked and wanted to give it a try. At first I was very shy to talk to other people despite they were all the same age as me. But as the time passed I gained the confidence to talk to other people and discover that a lot of them liked the same things as me and we build some kind of relation. One benefit I got from joining this taekwondo team was meeting new people I liked to talk. Also I experienced what it’s like to do a sport that I liked a lot at that time and learned a lot of things. One thing I can do is to not be afraid to talk to new people. Be myself and find people who like the same things as me. 

• Samiya S.

Taekwondo is so cool! I wish I had the strength for that

• Genesis Garcia

Sometimes we act shy, but when we start to open up, we build a connection and a relationship with others.

• Talisha Rahman

It sounds great how participating in Taekwondo taught you new things and allowed you to meet people who share your interests.

• Alexis Cordoba

Lol, i like how you said you can try not to be afraid to talk to new people. This too is a skill that I am trying to achieve, but it takes time. So, don’t beat yourself up if it doesn;t work out immediately. What I try to do is be friendly, and even if that doesn’t work don’t be ashamed, try again or move on. Then I also like to compliment others and have others share about their feelings and experiences because people like to talk about themselves.

8. Nilkiaris Arjona (Kiki)

i recently started working at dunkin. at first i felt nervous but my co workers made me feel welcome and they were so nice to me. i was able to ask for help if i didn’t know how to do something. to feel more like im part of city tech is i can try to talk to other people and get all the opportunities i get to build connections and increasing my reputation

• Genesis Garcia

I’m glad you have a great relationship with your co workers and that you’re really enjoying your job.

• Talisha Rahman

Sounds like you are doing a great job by being proactive and open to new opportunities at City Tech!

• Kasim Anderson (Kai)

Breaking away from that nervousness and being able to ask for help when needed is a big step, you are going to build great connections and do amazing during your semester.

9. Justin Nuñez

How did you feel when you first joined? 

I felt imitated because I was an 11th grader in a 12th grade club

yes moments like sharing past experiences or being in each other’s company

I guess joining the mental health club has helped me with a job since it is social worker

I feel like I just have to go out there and try any new clubs

• Andre

Nice that’s another example of how being more involved can help you in other ways

• Talisha Rahman

It sounds great how moments of sharing experiences and spending time together helped you feel part of the group. Those connections are so valuable.

• Anchita

Same! I felt so intimidated because of this one debate club I joined in 10th grade, but slowly over time you just get used to it. Hope you have nice collage life.

10. Kasim Anderson (Kai)

The mental health club sounds like a good opportunity for you to get to know everyone and it helped with a job. Even when you was intimidated you pushed on and that’s amazing!

11. Andre

I felt good about it because I knew most of the people in the club.

It was a podcast club so I felt a part of the group when recording or brainstorming ideas.

I feel like it helped with conversational skills.

I can join clubs and involve myself in the city tech community.

• Talisha Rahman

It sounds great how recording and brainstorming ideas together made you feel part of the group. Collaborative activities like that can be very bonding.

12. Alexis Cordoba

How did you feel when you first joined? 

When I’ve joined internships, I usually felt nervous of meeting new people and what to expect.

I felt like I was a part of the group when we all worked together, I got to have a say in what I wanted, I was given responsibilities, and when we were comfortable talking with each other

I was able to share my voice, be heard, and let others in on my pov. It makes you feel included rather than left out. I was also good at asking questions which helped me to get answers and help others as well.

Similarly, I can speak up, be friendly, ask questions, and make connections.